Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

PLEASE HELP! Windows XP not starting up. VERY important files not backed up!!

This is a discussion on PLEASE HELP! Windows XP not starting up. VERY important files not backed up!! within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows
Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30

I tried every option. Windows screen appears for brief seconds and then computer restarts. This continues over and over again until I turn the PC off. The BIOS screen appears. Haven't recently uploaded or changed software. I have no idea why this is happening. Months preceding this, the computer has shut off unexpectedly, but has always restarted normally. I haven't tried XP cd repair because I'm afraid of losing CRUCIAL files. Hoping to extract them safely before using Repair or Restore. Unable to run antiviral, spyware scans.

Thank you for your help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
Registered Member

You could remove the Hard drive, install it as a second HD in another computer or slave it via USB adapter and make a dvd or put files on a thumbdrive.

Or download and burn a linux cd? By making a Live CD, (boots up using the linux cd and computer ram) you should be able to access the files (without removing anything) you need to back them up to a thumbdrive.

Do you have a XP cd? supposedly performing a repair install shouldnt mess with your files and folders. I still would back up the computer, if at all possible first though.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

As rosiesdad suggested make a Ubuntu Live CD and boot off of that and save your files to a Flash Drive. Or remove the HDD from the computer and put it on a USB Adapter and attach that to a working computer to backup your files. Always keep a current backup.
Once you have backed up your files, boot off of the XP CD and get to the Recovery Console and type chkdsk /R and hit enter. The Check Disk Utility will try and fix any errors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Registered Member

THANK YOU for both responses!

I've put HD in cradle and attached to laptop. When I try to access files, it says I don't have permission, but when I try to change ownership, laptop w/ windows vista says file is corrupt or unreadable. Is this repairable? PLEASE SAY YES. I'm having a panic attack over here!!!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

On the Vista Laptop Go to Start/Computer and take note of the Drive letter of the now external drive, (ex) F: Now go to Start/Search and type chkdsk F: /R and hit enter (change F: to your particular drive letter) If that fails, in Search type CMD right click the Command Icon and choose Run as Administrator. Now type that command. Then type a Y to unmount the volume. The Check Disk utility will try and fix the file system. After that you may need to take ownership of the files again.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
Registered Member

Thank you once again, but now when I plug in HD to laptop by USB cable, I'm unable to find the drive under My Computer. It shows under Computer Management, though, as Unallocated. So I'm not sure which drive it's under to access through command prompt. It was originally F, then I unplugged it, and now it won't show.

I've done as you instructed using the F drive. It says Cannot Open Volume for Direct Access. And I'm not sure where to input Y command after this.

THANK YOU for helping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2011, 11:32 PM   #7
Visiting BSOD Expert
Microsoft Support Team

if it's unallocated, that would indicate that the file system is damaged in some way (or at least the file table describing the file system and the files on it). Do NOT do anything further to that drive. There are lots of recovery utilities out there that can try to access and fix that drive (some better than others, some easier to use than others - usually ease of use correlates directly with "less useful overall", but not always), but do not, under any circumstances, write or change anything on that drive going forward. It's already a damaged filesystem, which means the data is very likely still there, but accessing it easily using Windows native tools is far past. You will need a 3rd party recovery solution, free or non-free, to recover the contents of that drive. I suggest trying TestDisk first, to see if repairing the file table would be enough to get you to be able to copy the files off of that drive.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
Registered Member

Testdisk isn't working for me.

Why is it when i connect external hd to laptop, it doesn't appear under My Computer now? It did the very first time I connected it. That's all. Now when i plug it in, it shows only as Safely Remove Hardware. Could it be because I accidentally unplugged it w/o safely removing it the first time around?

Couldn't this possibly be repaired by doing what a previous poster mentioned? Booting up from XP disc?

This is a personal tragedy for me. Somebody please be my saving grace here. Please.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluberti View Post
if it's unallocated, that would indicate that the file system is damaged in some way
If the drive is showing up in Computer Management as Unallocated Space that would mean the file system has been damaged. That is why its not showing up in My Computer.
Take the drive out of its' enclosure and put it on another USB Adapter to see if it will mount. Or run a recovery tool. It's not free but I have had great luck with GetDataBack
Old 03-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
Registered Member

Am I able to repair Xp w/o disc? I've recently moved and everything is packed in storage.

I've used PhotoRec to recover not even half of what I lost and most is fragmented. I'm hoping XP repair will bring it all back.

Please let me know if I can repair by using commands or something. Thank you.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

I have moved the thread to the hard drive forum where you should get some help with recovering the data. I suggest you do nothing with the drive until the Drive guru coaches you. A repair will likely render the files perminently lost

Old 03-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

As Rich said, if the data is critical that needs to be your first concern, incorrect attempts to repair a disk could result in loss of data. Try scanning the disk with the demo of r-studio.
Closed Thread