Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

PC won't boot

This is a discussion on PC won't boot within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I apologise for the length of this - just want to get all the details out: I have 9 XW8200's

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 12:28 PM   #1

I apologise for the length of this - just want to get all the details out:

I have 9 XW8200's with Adaptec 2120s SCSI cards, 4 72gb Ultra320 15k drives, 4gb RAM. I also set these up for RAID 10, created the Array, etc. We created an image for this model and were able to successfully image (so far) 4 out of 8. The other 4 will not boot - all I get is a blinking cursor after post on in the upper left corner. We have swapped out the following with known good parts:

SCSI card
SCSI cable
Video Card
Updated SCSI firmware
Updated system BIOS
Updated Video card firmware
Verified jumper settings

What we also did was swap the HDD's from the "bad" PC with HDD's from a working machine. The "good" drives booted in the "bad" machine. (And the drives from the "bad" PC didn't boot in the "good" machine) Now, I would normally think that this means the Hard drives are bad - but this is happening on 4 machines (so far). Could it really be that HP sent 4+ BRAND NEW PC's in the same order that have bad drives? I'm am at my wit's end with this one. I need a fresh perspective from ANYONE out there. Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2006, 04:42 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
First of all lets get started by saying I have never YET seen a machine that can run stable with 4gigs of memory !!!!! and windows has no deocumented history of being able to use more than 2 gigs ?????? so I would start there

also: you better have a PSU thats is capable of running a table saw if you are going to run that many scsi drives in one machine !!! I run them also (but only 3 !!) I cant even imagine the whirrrrrr from 9 of them LOL

I would not even begin to consider less than 600 watts of Enermax Liberty PSU for such a task ???????

and power flucuations will make those drives say "no way jose`" they are very touchy to power droops
Old 02-15-2006, 07:39 AM   #3

Power's good - initially had 4 machines going at once, and fried a switch and UPS!! Doubled my power capacity and everything looks fine in that respect. We brought the memory down to 2gb, and still the machines would not boot. Now we are thinking it might have something to do with the Array that we set up (Raid 10). We did a Quick Init the first time, and now we are trying Build/Verify to see if it works. Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
my last suggestion at this moment is to run Memtest (free in my signature) to make sure you have no memory leaks

as i think of more possibilities I will give you some input
Closed Thread