Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

PC is taking up all my backup HDD space.

This is a discussion on PC is taking up all my backup HDD space. within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My external HDD recently died on me, and I removed it from the case and put it in my PC

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

My external HDD recently died on me, and I removed it from the case and put it in my PC in order to retrieve the data and fix up a few problems that occurred. It's been in my PC for the last few weeks while I've been doing all this, and up until today I didn't have any issues other than the fact my computer seems to have been running awfully slowly at times of late - I did the standard checks (Malware, anti-virus, Spybot, registry) and nothing seemed amiss. Then today I started getting warning messages flashing at me that the second disk has run out of space - when I put it in in had about 200Gig of spare room!

So without my knowledge or input, the system or the Seagate program that came with the Free Agent backup HDD has somehow decided to use the second internal HDD as a backup that it automatically transfers data to.

How do I stop this occurring, and where do I find the stuff that's been backed up so I can delete it? I'm really edgy about where and what to delete to try and free up all that room, and I'm stunned that the system has eaten up 200 GIGs of space in such a short time. After the issues I had recently I actually had decided to buy a new HDD to slip into the PC to use as a clone (I think the setting is Raid 0 from memory) and I'll probably do that in the next few weeks, but the other drive is simply something I want to use as a stock backup at need for essential data.

Would I also be right in assuming that all this massive amount of data transfer for backup could account for why the PC seems to have been running unusually slowly of late?

Thanks

Motherboard ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
Sound - Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS
RAM - Corsair XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB)
DVD - Lite-on DVDRW LH-20A1L SCSI
HD - Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB
Power - Cooler Master Real Power Pro RS-750-ACAA-A1 750W
OS Windows 7 Ultimate (64)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

After installing the 2nd HDD did you test it with the manufacturers disk tools to verify the drive is good? As it appears to be a Seagate, you can use SeaTools. Run the short and long test. If either test fails or has errors, the drive is faulty.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Registered Member

Okay, mixed signals!
There isn't anything wrong with it - I'm simply trying to figure out how to stop the system backing up to the HDD in question, because I never asked it to - it seems to have taken it on as an automatic operation since I put the unit in my PC.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

From the manual
Managing Backup Settings
Once you create a backup plan, the Backup window displays:
• The active backup plan
• Which file types will be backed up
• The time of the backup
• The Scheduled Backup (On/Off) setting
Editing Backup Settings
To edit the settings of a Backup Plan for your drive:
Step 1: Click My Drives in the Command panel.
The My Drives page opens.
Step 2: Select your drive.
Step 3: Click Backup in the Command panel.
The Backup window opens.
Step 4: In the Backup window, click Edit Backup Settings.
The Backup Folder Selection window displays your current Backup Plan name
and folder selection:
Step 5: Edit the Backup Plan Name and/or the folder selection(s) and click Next.
The Backup File Types window displays your current selections.
Step 6: Edit the types of files to be backed up and click Next.
The Backup Schedule window displays your current schedule.
Seagate Manager User Guide for Use With Your FreeAgent™ Drive 17
Backing Up and Restoring Folders and Files Managing Backup Settings
Note: If you previously had encryption enabled, it remains enabled (displaying a checkmark).
You cannot edit the encryption settings for your backup. The only way to enable or disable
encryption for a backup is to do it when you create the backup plan.
Step 7: Edit the days and/or time you want to back up your folders.
If this drive previously participated in Drive Rotation (sharing a backup plan with
another drive), the Next button is displayed. If not, the Finish button is displayed.
Step 8: Click Next or Finish.
If you clicked Finish:
The Backup window now displays the new details of your backup and Scheduled
Backup is turned on. You have completed editing of your backup settings.
If you clicked Next:
The Backup Options window opens, showing a list of drives to which this plan
backs up. Go to the next step.
Step 9: Uncheck any drive in the list to remove that drive from this backup plan and click
Finish.
Deleting a Backup Plan
You can delete the Backup Plan for any drive on which you’ve created one, even if the drive
is not connected to your computer.
To delete a Backup Plan for your drive:
Step 1: Click Backup in the Command panel.
The Backup window opens.
Step 2: In the Backup window, click Delete Backup Plans.
The Delete Backup Plans window opens.
Listed is the Backup Plan for each drive.
Step 3: Select the Backup Plan you want to delete by clicking its checkbox and click
Delete.
The selected backup plan is deleted. (Your backed up files are NOT deleted.)
Using Scheduled Backup
Use Scheduled Backup to back up changed files to your drive on the days and time you set.
The Scheduled Backup On/Off switch enables or disables the backup plan schedule.
By default, Scheduled Backup is turned on.
If Scheduled Backup is missed:

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Closed Thread