Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Partition Problem w/ XP

This is a discussion on Partition Problem w/ XP within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. When I first installed Windows XP on the new computer I built, Windows only partitioned 127gb of my 160gb hard

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 05:25 AM   #1

When I first installed Windows XP on the new computer I built, Windows only partitioned 127gb of my 160gb hard drive (WD Caviar RE 160gb hdd SATA).

So instead of reformatting the entire drive and reinstalling Windows again, I just partitioned the remaining portion of the drive that didn't make it into the C:\ drive.

Basically, I want to know if I have to reformat the entire drive (not really in the mood to reinstall Windows) to get the two partitions into a single partion. Is there a way to combine both partitions into a single seamless partition?

Note: Not exactly sure, but I believe the drive is in RAID 0, even though it's the only hard drive in the system.

System Specs:
Abit AW9D Socket 775
Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
Western Digital Cavier RE 160gb 16mb cache SATA
OCZ DDR2 800 2GB (1GB x2)
ASUS GeForce 7950 GT 512MB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2007, 05:44 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Yes you could use patition magic or a similar type of program, But I am curious as to why you want a 160gb as 1 partition. If this drive goes down (and it will) at anytime, you will loose all info on it. You should multi partition this drive and use the first partition as your OS and other programs (say 40gb), the second partition for documents or what not (say another 40gb) and the third may be for music (the remaining 40gb). This will allow you to safe important info and not loose everything all at once. I would still backup all data once in a while to CD, DVD or external harddrive.

Bill
Old 07-10-2007, 06:28 AM   #3

I don't keep valuable information on this computer, so if the hard drive failed, I wouldn't care too much.

But does anyone know why Windows created a 127gb partition instead of ~160gb the first time around?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2007, 08:30 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I believe? windows will only see 127GB (DEFAULT partition size) especially if you formated it as a FAT32 partition
Old 07-10-2007, 08:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCOMP View Post
I believe? windows will only see 127GB (DEFAULT partition size) especially if you formated it as a FAT32 partition
Was it really only 127GB? Damn, I didn't realize the limit was so low. But I did format it under NTFS. I guess it really is time to move to Vista. =P

Anyways, I used PartitionMagic and ended up just enlarging the partition to take up the whole drive.

Thanks for the help. ;]
Closed Thread