Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Partition not accessible. Raw partition.

4K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Networks 
#1 ·
Hi
Today I got back home from work and turned my laptop on, while I was waiting for Windows to boot up, it took a while and finally "Error booting operating system" appeared. I tried to find a solution online, but it didn't work. Finally I re-installed Windows 7 32-bit in another partition and It worked and now I'm logged on on this Windows.
But now I see that the problem still exists. I can't open the partition that my previous Windows was installed on. I tried to run Check Disk and did what I found online to check the partition and correct errors. It didn't even start saying "Partition is not accessible. Partition is RAW."
I have very important data on the partition and it's very important for me to access those data.
I am so thankful in advance to anyone who shares his knowledge about it.

Khashayar

#4 ·
The price for R-Studio (NTFS or FAT, depending on what you need) is US$ 50. It's around other file recovery programs that really recover files.
You may also try R-Undelete. It costs app. US$ 55, but it's easier to use for not-very-much-experienced users.
Here you may read how to use it to recover files: R-Undelete online help. Your case is "Recover Lost Files from Deleted/Corrupted Logical Disks/Partitions".

#5 ·
Khashayar is you data is not worth spending the money or or you just can't afford it try Recuva and scan you drive for the file types you need to recover its free and fairly easy to use. The drive may be failing which caused he problem in the first place download hddcan from hddscan.com and check the smart stats and post an image back if any are yellow or red. This is a common problem we see on this forum but we don't know the reason it happens to each person since their are so many reasons it could happen power glitch disk error disk controller issues power off pc while drive being accessed the list goes on. One mistake you have made already is writing new data back to the drive which could over write recoverable data the fact you did another partition also can complicate recovery but its done and you can't go back. If the data is crytical you may want to consider pro recovery since DIY recovery has its own risks which you have to decide if its worth the risk.

#7 ·
The actual problem which was your initial question is you have sectors going bad on the drive in which you can't fix this is what happens over the normal life span of a hard drive. The drive's health = poor at this point if that helps explain it more layman terms. Tech terms below

The item in yellow if you convert Hex to Decimal = 1417 which is the number of current pending errors count = Count of "unstable" sectors (waiting to be remapped, because of read errors). If an unstable sector is subsequently read successfully, this value is decreased and the sector is not remapped. Read errors on a sector will not remap the sector (since it might be readable later); instead, the drive firmware remembers that the sector needs to be remapped, and remaps it the next time it's written

Anytime I see yellow in the SMART in my opinion its time to replace the drive its not stable. Did you try scanning the drive with recuva ? Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download

#8 ·
Thanks for your reply.

As I understood the drive is old and needs to be replaced.

Anyways...For now I ran Recuva and tried to operate it on the RAW drive but it says "Data error (cyclic redundancy check)". I have no idea what does that mean but I think it can't read the partition at all. What should I do in order the partition to be accessible for Recuva?

Kh

#9 ·
At the DIY level you have serious issues at the hardware level on this drive the CRC errors are another indicator the drive is failing. You don't have the tools or experience to resolve this at this level its past DIY recovery. Google will tell you what CRC means = Cyclic redundancy check - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think if you really need the data pro recovery is the next step

#11 ·
Are you referring to R-Studio ? yes its a good program however your hard drive is having "hardware" problems with the CRC errors which none of the software programs can "fix" hardware problems or get around them. Only pro recovery tools can deal with hardware issues. Most likely the hard drive heads are failing/weak only pro diagnosis can tell for certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.