Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

partioning raid

This is a discussion on partioning raid within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. How would you go about partioning 2 exact hard drives in Raid. I have 2 operating systems and need to

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 11:18 AM   #1

How would you go about partioning 2 exact hard drives in Raid. I have 2 operating systems and need to install one and one partion and the other another partition. can someone help me out???
-chris-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2005, 11:58 AM   #2

This is actually really easy - you will have onboard raid or a PCI raid controller, it doesn't matter which as either will have supplied you with a floppy disk containing the raid drivers. If you can't find it simply download them and copy them to a floppy.
If one of your OS's is an NT kernel (win2000, xp, server etc..) all you need to do is install that one first but ensure you hit F6 when it prompts you to at the beginning of the installation. You will be asked to insert the raid driver floppy, load the drivers from that point (it will be obvious) and from that point on your raid array will be seen as a normal disk for the rest of the setup process. Just partition it as you would normally.

I suppose I have been a little presumptious to think that one of your OS's is going to be XP/2K - if it's not just post back with which OS's you'll be using and we'll take it from there.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:58 AM   #3

I'm assuming your talking about Raid 0. Windows sees the two drives as one so your partitioning strategy shouldn't be much different than a single drive. Generally it's agreed that the first partition, usually C, on the drive is on the portion that's accessed the fastest. I'd put whatever OS you used the most first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2005, 01:19 PM   #4

Since we're on tweaks now - when you set up raid-0 in the first place you'll be asked for a 'strip size'. 64K is the way to go for arrays under 2x160Gb, 128K for anything larger.
You won't specificaly notice the difference but you may as well optimize whilst you still can.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:42 PM   #5

what is the normal process to partition a drive???? after u install the raid driver what do you do??? the only way i have ever partitioned is using FDisk and that wont work while installing an OS. How do you do it????
Old 02-27-2005, 02:42 PM   #6

Well you still haven't told us which OS you will be using.

If you're going to be using an NT kernel it will become self-evident once you get to that stage as there is a point during setup which asks you to delete/create partitions. Otherwise...

Quote:
I suppose I have been a little presumptious to think that one of your OS's is going to be XP/2K - if it's not just post back with which OS's you'll be using and we'll take it from there.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:57 AM   #7

Hi excuse me but looks like TDK2 knows the answer to one of my problems. From a mangled manual I understood I needed to F6 but could not understand when and where. I have installed windows xp - please don't tell me I have to re-install.......
Old 03-11-2005, 03:30 PM   #8

Hi - just found the answer re F6 - how did I never notice!?
Closed Thread