Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Operating system not found

This is a discussion on Operating system not found within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi: I am facing problem with one of my laptop(HP Omnibook 6100 ....Intel(R) PENTIUM(R) III, Mobile CPU 1000Mhz), it is

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 11:51 PM   #1

Hi:
I am facing problem with one of my laptop(HP Omnibook 6100 ....Intel(R) PENTIUM(R) III, Mobile CPU 1000Mhz), it is not starting and shows operating system not found!!! I can hear some sound like trickle sound while it trys to start.

Please guide what could be the possible problem and if the hard drive is crashed.....can I buy any internal 2.5" hard drive and replace myself or I need to buy a specific one....Any help in this regards to help me buy the correct hard drice will be appreciated.
Thanks friends and have a great day!!!
Sud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2007, 12:21 AM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

OS: WinME, WinXP Pro SP3, Win7(x64), Linux distros incl. Ubuntu 9.10 & Netbook Remix & CD2USB, Slax6.1

My System

most likely your drive has failed , the 2,5" drives seem to fail in a more unexpected fashion than their larger brothers
I am not familiar with your particular laptop so I will andwer in general until such time as someone better informed pops along to give specific info,

Any new 2,5" drive should do you even if too large for your current BIOS to handle .. any formating of the disk will be limited to the max size your BIOS can handle
frequently when you remove the old drive it will look like there is a difference in connectors .. but usually because there is an pin adapter that changes the fitting from standard to the type of connection your laptop uses.
I suggest that you look under the laptop for inspection hatches to see if your hard drive is accessible from any one of them .. if it isn't then a service manual will be required to locate the way to remove the top of the laptop .. keyboard, mouse pad etc .. when the drive will be accessible and you will be able to remove it by removing some screws
You'll need to re-install your OS so make sure that you have your CD and license key ready too.

I'm not old!!
I'm age impaired

D_F

I DON'T PLAY GAMES

HDD DIAG UTILS

TSF's Photographer's Corner

How to Use Ubuntu to Recover Windows files
Old 07-08-2007, 10:50 AM   #3

Hi...Done_Fishin,
Thanks for response.
I can remove theharddisc from side of my laptop but was wondering if this would be okay to buy...
https://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...0AH-DT&cat=HDD

Actually I am at remote place and will need to do most of things myself.
Have a great Day!
Sud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
Roaming To Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudk29 View Post
Hi...Done_Fishin,
Thanks for response.
I can remove theharddisc from side of my laptop but was wondering if this would be okay to buy...
https://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...0AH-DT&cat=HDD
I had this laptop in 2001, yes that would work. The default HDD is ATA 30GB.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:59 AM   #5
Moderator Hardware Team

OS: WinME, WinXP Pro SP3, Win7(x64), Linux distros incl. Ubuntu 9.10 & Netbook Remix & CD2USB, Slax6.1

My System

what do you use your laptop for .. business, entertainment, games, playing DVD's .. ? Do you need speed or want to increase speed ? I'd say that 5400rpm is a bit slow .. it's ok for general use .. but if you use speed dependent programs like games .. you would gain by finding a faster drive ..
What country are you in ?
kalim .. you beat me to the response by 2 minutes .. thanks for your help ,..

I'm not old!!
I'm age impaired

D_F

I DON'T PLAY GAMES

HDD DIAG UTILS

Old 07-08-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
Roaming To Help

Done_Fishin: IIRC the system will have 256MB RAM, so it will barely cope with anything demanding anyway. The older drive has spindle speed of 5400RPM, and so is the newly linked. They are certainly slower, I recently tested a 2003 5400RPM drive against a 7200RPM, and the difference is noticeable even with general usage, like system startup. So, you make good points.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:18 AM   #7

Excellent info!
I am in the ort of Alberta in Canada....very few people here! I have to buy online and go from there!
So as I read I can go for higher speed of hard dive in this laptop....
Old 07-08-2007, 11:19 AM   #8

I am also planning to increase RAM to 512 atleast...
Old 07-08-2007, 11:27 AM   #9
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

good move

Old 07-08-2007, 01:35 PM   #10
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

I'd say look for a 7200RPM drive that is in your price range .. since you're in Canada I am not sure what the market is like there ,.. newegg in the states seem to have a good reputation, good prices plus sometimes they have special offers that are quite tempting .. I have no personal experience just going by the vibes I get in the forum ..

This
looks like a good deal to me .. but is it what you are looking for and can you get it from where you are ..

I'm not old!!
I'm age impaired

D_F

I DON'T PLAY GAMES

HDD DIAG UTILS

Old 07-09-2007, 02:17 AM   #11
Roaming To Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done_Fishin View Post

This
looks like a good deal to me .. but is it what you are looking for and can you get it from where you are ..
Over at the Canadians Newegg: https://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=Hitachi
Old 07-09-2007, 10:55 AM   #12
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

looks like it's a lot more expensive than your original choice .. a good drive .. it all depends upon your finances and how much you are willing to spend ..

Thanks kalim .. hadn't realised that newegg were also in Canada

I'm not old!!
I'm age impaired

D_F

I DON'T PLAY GAMES

HDD DIAG UTILS

Old 07-10-2007, 03:08 AM   #13
Roaming To Help

They're not but NCIX is as reputed for Canada as is Newegg for USA.
Closed Thread