Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Old WD My Passport 320 GB not display on new computer

This is a discussion on Old WD My Passport 320 GB not display on new computer within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello I am trying to access a really old WD hard drive, probably from 2008, with a newly built computer.

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 03:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello

I am trying to access a really old WD hard drive, probably from 2008, with a newly built computer. model WD3200C032

I'm not sure whats going on. The light is green, but i hear a light clicking sound and am not sure what thats about. I believe i have the right power supply, but i'm not sure. It fits in the device, and its 12V, which meets the requirements

My computer doesnt detect any devices plugged into the computer, though.

Do you know what may be the issue?

edit: I forgot to mention, it is an external HD.. Last i used it, it worked perfectly fine, but i had unplugged it and moved and had not used it since. This must have been back in 2010 or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

See if it works with another computer. Even though it worked the last time you used it, the clicking is not a good sign.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
See if it works with another computer. Even though it worked the last time you used it, the clicking is not a good sign.
One thing to note, i dont have hear the disk spinning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2018, 04:16 PM   #4
Registered Member

Ok, the power supply that i'm looking at has 12V 750MA... This could be the cause of the issue, im not sure if i'm using the correct power supply. I'm looking on the internet for the correct Amps, and cant seem to find the correct Amps. its not on WD's website. I see alot of compatible power supplies using 2A, Do you guys know what would be appropriate for this?
Old 04-22-2018, 04:41 PM   #5
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

In theory the drive will only use the amperage needed, hence a 3 amp adapter wouldn't be harmful. In practice, you could end up damaging the circuit board. Research further. You really need to know the amperage needed, unless the HD is already history.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Closed Thread