1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  dai 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Recently got myself a new rig:

Mb: MSI 990FXA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb
CPU: AMD Phenom 2 x6
PSU: HX650w Corsair
and a brand new 1tb sata drive to go with all my lovely new goodies.

Problem is, I have an old 1tb sata in my old rig that I have attempted to connect to my new rig after installing windows 7 on my new sata drive. Unfortunately neither bios or windows are picking up my old sata. My new mb came with some new fancy sata cables that didnt work on my old drive, so after plugging in my old sata cable my old drive worked. Being somewhat chuffed after what seemed forever trying to get it to work I decided to reconnect my SLI. After switching my new beast back on, again the bios or windows didnt recognize my old sata and I was back to square 1. I retraced my steps, carefully calculating every detail and effort made into making my old sata worked but to no avail.

funny thing is my old sata works just fine on my old rig, but even after disconnecting my new sata and putting my old one in its place on my new rig, it still does not pick it up. I dont believe the drive is buggered, but I really want this to work. I have a lot of old memories, music, games etc that I dont want to lose.

Can anyone suggest anything? thanks,

See less See more
#5 ·
Well thats what i thought at first. I am using only 1 at the moment, GTX 260. Thing is, my mate who has a very similar system to mine has a lot more hardware (additional hdds, much bigger gfx card, audio card etc) running off the same psu than my own rig. I cant hear the hdd spin up when I switch the pc on, but it does it no problem in my old rig. I just dont understand what's going on :(

#7 ·
The only things that are different between my own and my mates pcs are he has a 560TI gfx card and 2 more sata hdds. I'm not running SLI anymore as my 260GTX is doing its job with the games that I play, so the second card isnt even in my tower.

I have considered it is a possible power issue but surely that cannot be the case if I am running 1 gfx card and 1 sata hdd. Even tried disconnecting my cd drive and powering it up but still no cigar :( Feel stumped, and really irritated by this.

Happy New Years, btw!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.