Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Old Hard Drive trouble (using enclosure)

This is a discussion on Old Hard Drive trouble (using enclosure) within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys so recently my old hard drive went into a coma after a microsoft update corrupted my start-up files

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation

Hey guys so recently my old hard drive went into a coma after a microsoft update corrupted my start-up files on the drive so I contacted my service provider (dell) and got a new hard drive and an enclosure through warranty. Now they let me keep my old hard drive to get my old files off of it but when I hooked it up to the enclosure (using eSATA connection) it doesn't let me access the drive. It show's up in the computer screen as Local Drive H (got a lot of drives) but when i double click on it a message pops up saying do you want to reformat this drive? and I obviously don't so when I press cancel it pops up with another message saying the drive could not be accessed and the volume does not have a recognized file system.

What am I doing wrong here??? I only have ten days and then I have to return it :(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

is this the new or the old drive?

Also, does Windows want to format the new or old drive. And have you already backed up your data? or not?
Old 08-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
Registered Member

The new drive is what I am booting from I am trying to get te old files from my old drive with the corrupted startup files to my new hdd. I wasn't able to back up my old drive because the problem occurred so suddenly. I am using a hard drive enclosure to connect my old drive to my compuer with a fast eSATA connection. I do have the option to use regular USB with the enclosure as well.
To your last question my computer wants me to re format the old drive, which will destroy the data that I am looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
Registered Member

*bump*
Old 08-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
Enthusiast

My System

You can give this a look, I hear that it works pretty well.

https://www.easeus-deletedrecovery.com/
Old 08-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
Registered Member

I forgot to mention that I had previously done a full hard drive encryption on my old drive and would your link you posted mean that I HAVE to re-format my old drive?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
- Microsoft Support

If the drive is encrypted, your options are extremely limited. here is a utility that says they can recover data from encrypted volumes, but it requires knowledge of the password.

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
Old 08-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
Registered Member

So I can't just hook it up to the enclosure and tale stuff off of it i HAVE to re format it and use a recovery tool?
Old 08-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
Registered Member

*bump*
Old 08-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

What did you use to encrypt the drive? It sounds like it was using preboot encryption, and since the drive doesn't boot, there is no way for the preboot to run. Full disk encryption will also encrypt the MBR, which would cause the error you are seeing. You are going to need to decrypt the drive using the software you used to encrypt it.; Most of the encryption vendors have an emergency CD that allows you to decrypt the disc with the password. If it was as simple as formatting and running the recovery software then what would be the point of encrypting the disk...
Old 08-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #11
Registered Member

I used truecrypt its a freeware encryption software and I do have the recovery cd but how would I got about decrypting it if its not my main drive anymore?
Old 08-07-2010, 06:29 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

The recovery disk should let you point to the drive you want to decrypt. I've never done a recovery on truecrypt drives, but on several others the recovery disk was able to identify the drive even tho it was not the primary. You may not be able to do it through USB however if the recovery needs some of the lower level ATA commands that USB does not pass tot he drive. In that case you would ned the drive connected to a SATA/IDE port on a desktop.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #13
Registered Member

Okay I'll try that thanks a lot guys. I'll post if it doesn't work.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #14
Registered Member

I fixed the problem guys thanks for all your help. Turns out that I had to boot the drive in the truecrypt program without pre-boot authentication so now i can access the partition that has all the old files i need without any data loss from reformatting.
Closed Thread