Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

NVMe M.2 in this Laptop?

This is a discussion on NVMe M.2 in this Laptop? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello all, In short, my question is if i can install this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...90&ignorebbr=1 Inside of this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...00&ignorebbr=1 I cant manage

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Stancestans
  • 1 Post By SpywareDr
Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello all,

In short, my question is if i can install this:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...90&ignorebbr=1

Inside of this:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...00&ignorebbr=1

I cant manage to find the information I need regarding the motherboard on the MSI and whether it definitely accepts NVMe M.2s.

It has a SATA M.2 in it, but I know that does not mean it can take both. In fact I think that means it is unlikely to take both types.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

I don't believe it will support NVMe M.2 sata is electrically different then NvMe spec.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:02 AM   #3
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

The GP63 Leopard (Intel 8th Gen) series product page overview clearly showcases NVMe SSD support. Not ALL models in this series ship or come with an SSD preinstalled though, so that is some of the specifics that you'd have to double-check with the vendor. The model-specific specifications for the GP63 Leopard-428 states it comes with a 128GB SATA M.2 SSD included, same as the newegg product page states. The manual for this series states support for both SATA and PCIe (used by NVMe SSDs) interfaces. What is not mentioned, however, is if there is an extra M.2 slot for an additional SSD, but the GP63 Leopard 8RE/reference model's specifications page lists 2 M.2 slots, one being a combo port that supports both SATA and NVMe while the other supports NVMe only. One of the verified purchase reviews on the newegg page also states that that specific model has a second M.2 slot that takes an NVMe SSD, on which they installed a WD Black SSD that's working just fine.

I can confidently say that that model does have support for NVMe SSDs. While all M.2 sata slots do not support NVMe SSDs, some M.2 slots do support both SATA and NVMe while others only support NVMe. In my opinion, that model is too new (generation-wise) to not support NVMe SSDs in its M.2 slot(s).
Wrench97 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

The MSI GP63 Leopard 8RE has:
Quote:
1x M.2 SSD slot (NVMe PCIe Gen3)
1x M.2 SSD Combo (NVMe PCIe Gen3 / SATA )
Wrench97 likes this.
Closed Thread