Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not sure if its Hard Drive or Mother board?

987 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  wanderingaround 
#1 ·
Just trying to narrow done the source of the problem.

Ok so I have an iMac G5 and I'm getting the file folder with a question mark on Start up along with a clicking sound. I know general this means it can not find an the OS on the drive usually?

So here is what I have done:

1) Before the above issue I was just getting the clicking. So I have erased and installed just because so newly refreshed OS.

2) Then: still getting clicking Ran Disk Utilities on the Hard drive Verifying Permissions etc. Only to have it tell me the HD. was fine?

3) By now on Startup OS will not load with the above mentioned folder/question mark deal. However if I Zap the Pram when I start up THe Computer boots and operates normally?

Not sure what to make of this thinking its the Battery going or MotherBoard going?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
Networks, Thank you for your advice. Just to clarify drive heads would not show up when I ran "Verify and Repair Disk Permissions" Ran both to diagnose the hard drive before. Just asking because Disk Utilities Diagnosed Hard Drive as fine? Still using computer just have to Zap the Pram in order to get it to start up?

Visseroth, Way ahead of you already have external back up.

#5 ·
OK I had to go lookup what " Zap the Pram means " It clearly states this issue is caused by a bad battery. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM If you keep the AC charger connected does it do the same ? The hard drive clicking is what has me most concerned. What is the age of the hard drive?

#6 ·
Networks

Considering its an iMac G5 not a lap top nothing works without it being pluged in. The hard drive would be 5 years old this January. I'm just trying to get some other opinions because I hope its the hard drive and not the motherboard. From the little bit of Mac Lab training I had in college. Zapping the pram shouldn't help clicking noises which is what is confusing me. Just trying to get some feed back to narrow down the problem so if I can fix it myself I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.