Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Norton Ghost

This is a discussion on Norton Ghost within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello everyone! First post. I have a questions about Norton Ghost. I am helping install Windows XP Pro on my

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 02:15 PM   #1

Hello everyone! First post. I have a questions about Norton Ghost. I am helping install Windows XP Pro on my folks’ computer. It was my Pops’ job to do the backup for the system prior to install so they could transfer over their My Documents and My Pictures files over to the new OS. We did a clean install of XP, and afterwards, of course, we are having trouble re-installing all the old files. The file that was created by Ghost is incredibly small, but I heave heard before that it is supposed to be. My fear is that the wrong option/feature was used when the backup was done. I’ve been trolling the internet and anytime I hear someone talking about Ghost the two words that I inevitably hear about are “Ghosting” the hard drive, and “Imaging” the hard drive. Are these two totally separate operations, or are these two words interchangeable/the same thing? I think since the file size is so small, “Ghosting” refers to just recording the names of the applications and the names of the individual files in My Documents, and not actually saving the files themselves, and “Imaging” refers to actually saving the files as a whole (name and content), so that “Imaging” the drive would require several CD-R’s to truly backup all the files. Is this the case? Is there any software that can dig under the XP install, and retrieve the files from where the old My Documents file was located? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2006, 03:02 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
Welcome to TSF:

I always feel bad for users of Norton Ghost the first few times they try to use it >>>> its an over complicated piece of software >>>> very powerful indeed but not for the novice or even intermediate user >>>> I would only use ghost on a drive and OS whose contents I didnt care about unitl you figure out how to use it and the TRUE use of its commands >>>> many times the user interprets what he thinks he is doing and gives the software commands >>> but the end process is an all together different outcome !! :(

as for your questions ????? Ghosting is generally a term for exact bootable copy or clone of a hard drive / imaging is as you have stated >>>> a back-up of your files and such

I dont know what to suggest as I have long ago abandoned Ghost for better options and NO DOS

I would however explore and hope you can get something of value out of the file you have obtained from within ghost >>>>> in the future use the back-up function from within windows>accessories>system tools> back-up

keep us posted on your progress >>>> you may get some input from happy users of Ghost that can add info

regards

joe
Old 01-05-2006, 01:22 AM   #3

so how small is small? anytime i've used ghost it is generally the first thing i do with someone elses HD when i need to do something serious on it. so i'd select partition>image. so i'd create an image file of their complete HD, but even at maximum compression the file is several GB's and can take an hour or two.

1 problem with norton is selecting the correct HD. when it initially asks you can easily select the wrong HD to clone-ghost-copy (whatever you want to call the process) so this might explain why the image file is so small. in other words made a image file of the blank HD!

have you tried using Ghost explorer? it's one of the components that is installed when you install norton ghost. so you run ghost explorer and then browse and open the image file. it will show you the contents as if you were looking at it through normal windows explorer.
Closed Thread