Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

No hard drive driver or OS, new laptop.

This is a discussion on No hard drive driver or OS, new laptop. within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So I just bought a "Fair Condition Dell Latitude E6230 Core i7-3520M 2.9GHz 8GB 320GB 12.5" from Ebay. Fair Condition

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 05:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

So I just bought a "Fair Condition Dell Latitude E6230 Core i7-3520M 2.9GHz 8GB 320GB 12.5" from Ebay.

Fair Condition Dell Latitude E6230 Core i7 3520M 2 9GHz 8GB 320GB 12 5" No OS | eBay

It didn't come with an OS as advertised, but thats okay. I tried to install an OS of my own (USB) but hard drive doesn't have a driver!

I tried contacting the sellers and they only have email, so I wanted to know if you guys might be faster... How do I track down the driver for my hard drive, so I can install my OS?

Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2016, 06:15 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

There is no driver required for a HDD.
First start the computer and press F2 to enter Setup (Bios) On the Left Panel under System Info or Device Info you should see the HDD listed. If not, the HDD is not plugged in or it has failed.
If recognized, look for SATA or Hard Drive mode in the left panel. If it is set as IDE or Legacy, change it to AHCI. Now scroll up to Boot Sequence. Your USB Flash drive should be listed here under Hard Drive Group or just USB Device, move this to First Boot device. Save and Exit.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:31 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
There is no driver required for a HDD.
First start the computer and press F2 to enter Setup (Bios) On the Left Panel under System Info or Device Info you should see the HDD listed. If not, the HDD is not plugged in or it has failed.
If recognized, look for SATA or Hard Drive mode in the left panel. If it is set as IDE or Legacy, change it to AHCI. Now scroll up to Boot Sequence. Your USB Flash drive should be listed here under Hard Drive Group or just USB Device, move this to First Boot device. Save and Exit.
Let me try that now, and Ill report the results. Check my post for an update on the driver model no.

UPDATE: Can't edits first post, so my HDD is a "Seagate 320 HD ST320LT007". Be back in a few.

UPDATE2: Under "Primary Hard Drive" it lists "{none}"
It also lists "{none}" for System eSATA Device and Dock eSATA device. I'll start loading information on my profile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2016, 01:42 AM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
under System Info or Device Info you should see the HDD listed. If not, the HDD is not plugged in or it has failed.
Turn the laptop over, unscrew the HDD cover and Open the HDD bay and see if there is a Hard Drive in there. I would guess there isn't one.
If it is there, then it's not pushed in all the way, or it has failed.
You can remove the Seagate HDD and attach it internally to a desktop computer or via a USB Adapter or a USB Dock or Enclosure with a Power Adapter. If the drive doesn't spin up, it has failed.
Closed Thread