Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

No fixed disks present

This is a discussion on No fixed disks present within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This will probably be simple to most of you but it has me stumped. I was given a tower and

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 07:12 PM   #1

Roll Eyes

This will probably be simple to most of you but it has me stumped. I was given a tower and when it boots up it gets as far as OS load in progress. Then the message "insert bootable media in apporpriate drive".

I put a MS-DOS boot disk in and when that finishes loading I try to fdisk it to see what is on the hard drive. It gives the message of "no fixed disks present".

What does this mean and how should I proceed?

thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2004, 08:02 PM   #2

You will get that message if the system is unable to communicate with the hard drive. This may mean the drive is physically missing, disconnected, or not properly recognized or configured in bios. I would begin by opening bios by holding down the delete key. (does not work on all sys. look for a prompt at boot) Once in bios, look for Disk 0 to be identified by type, size in MB, # of cylinders and heads. If you see the word "none" check the physical stuff.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:16 AM   #3

Thank you. I got it working. The hard drive ribbon was loose.
Closed Thread