Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

No drives recognised by BIOS

This is a discussion on No drives recognised by BIOS within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys, I recieved a second GTX 970 today to setup in SLI mode, I plugged it all in with

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys,

I recieved a second GTX 970 today to setup in SLI mode, I plugged it all in with power and when I turned on my PC I was confronted with a:
'Reboot and select proper boot device'

After this I went into my BIOS to make sure my SSD was in the boot options - which it is now not.

I first assumed it was my SSD which had failed but when I tried other drives which I knew worked they are also not recognised.

My system specs are:
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0
FX 8350
Zotac GTX 970 (x2 attempted)
Samsung 850 EVO SSD

If someone has any idea I am in desperate need of them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2017, 09:36 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

PSU (Power Supply Unit) not strong enough to handle it all?
Old 12-22-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
Registered Member

I thought that may have been the issue but I tested with just one GPU and still no luck :(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2017, 10:05 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Sounds like something may have been knocked loose, damaged or maybe static damage?

Try resetting the BIOS to factory defaults, reboot then go back in and see if you see any drives.

If still no luck, re-assemble the computer outside the case ... as bare-bones as you can get it. PSU, motherboard, RAM, CPU, video, keyboard and mouse. Then try to get into the BIOS. When in set the date & time, save, exit, power down. Add a drive, boot up back into the BIOS and see if the drive shows up.

Let us know what you find out ...
Old 12-22-2017, 11:42 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Have your tried disabling SLI mode?
Go to the ASUS drivers page for your board and update the Bios: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...Desk_Download/
Old 12-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
Sounds like something may have been knocked loose, damaged or maybe static damage?

Try resetting the BIOS to factory defaults, reboot then go back in and see if you see any drives.

If still no luck, re-assemble the computer outside the case ... as bare-bones as you can get it. PSU, motherboard, RAM, CPU, video, keyboard and mouse. Then try to get into the BIOS. When in set the date & time, save, exit, power down. Add a drive, boot up back into the BIOS and see if the drive shows up.

Let us know what you find out ...
Reinstalled everything and now its not recognising my keyboard, oh and apparently there's a cpu fan error.. Delightful
Old 12-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Have your tried disabling SLI mode?
Go to the ASUS drivers page for your board and update the Bios: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...Desk_Download/
Tried both, nothing so far :(
Old 12-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #8
Registered Member

Okay ignore the bit about the keyboard, going to try and reset BIOS again
Old 12-22-2017, 12:47 PM   #9
Registered Member

Okay! SSD is being recognised again! However the 'BOOT_DRIVE_LED' is still red and I have a CPU fan error, any suggestions?
Old 12-22-2017, 01:01 PM   #10
Registered Member

Alright, ive got it to boot. Any suggestions on how to stop it doing this again when I try and SLI again?
Old 12-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Did you update the Bios to the latest version?
If SLI mode doesn't work then you can always reset the Bios to defaults.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:19 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Did you update the Bios to the latest version?
If SLI mode doesn't work then you can always reset the Bios to defaults.
Yes I updated the BIOS and it all boots fine. When I go into the nVidia control panel I am told that I have no SLI bridge. I have tried 2 different SLI bridges in every configuration I can think of but still get the same error
Old 12-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Do you have an SLI bridge adapter connected to both of your Video cards? And it's plugged in correctly?
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/sli/faq#g2
If you have a bridge adapter connected to both cards, and none of the FAQ troubleshooting steps work for you, contact nVidia support or post in their community forum for better results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sli_01.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	317522  
Old 12-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you have an SLI bridge adapter connected to both of your Video cards? And it's plugged in correctly?
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/sli/faq#g2
If you have a bridge adapter connected to both cards, and none of the FAQ troubleshooting steps work for you, contact nVidia support or post in their community forum for better results.
Yes I've got an SLI bridge connected to both and on correctly. I've tried 2 different bridges and flipped them around and even used both at the same time to make sure. Unfortunately nothing working currently. Thanks for your help though, really appreciate it :)
Closed Thread