Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

No bootable device

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Hi, when I try and start up my computer the message shows : no bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my computer and how to fix it?? Thanks.

#2 ·
Post the make/model of the PC. If custom built then post the specs

Motherboard-CPU-Memory-Graphics card-Power Supply brand/wattage

Boot into the BIOS and make sure the hard drive is recognized. Also look at

the Boot Options and make sure correct.

Has there been any recent changes to the PC? Anything added removed?

#3 ·
The error message indicates the hard drive cannot be located this no bootable device error. No idea make and model of computer so run any diagnostics that came with the computer to test the hard drive also check the BIOS to see if it shows up in there. What happened to the system leading up to the failure ? Post the computer and hard drive details if you want further assistance. If the drive has failed replacement and re-load of the operating system should get you back in business

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is all I can tell you, it is a compaq presario CQ61 - 114TU, S/N CNF9131Q35, P/N NW989PA#ABG, 160 GB and 4GB of RAM (2 X 2) the RAM is new of about 3 months ago and the computer had been working fine until the other day when it powered off due to low battery and has displayed this message since. Pressing escape to access other start up options does nothing and it then continues to display the message.

Also I do not have a boot disk??

Ok I have managed to get into my BIOS set up and it says my hard drive doesn't exist, I take it that this means it is had it, if so is there anyway to recover what is on it there is nothing of great importance as I have most of it backed up but there are just a couple of things that if I could save them it would be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.