Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

New WD40EFRX clicking sound every 2 seconds

This is a discussion on New WD40EFRX clicking sound every 2 seconds within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello to the community. I would like your help and support for the following issue. I recently bought (3 weeks

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 12:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello to the community. I would like your help and support for the following issue. I recently bought (3 weeks ago) a Western Digital Red 4TB, 3.5 Inches, SATA 3, 64MB, Intellipower (WD40EFRX) hard disk. I formatted the drive and accessed it through windows but when I am trying to copy and then paste a file to the drive the hard disk starts making a clicking sound every 2 seconds and windows freeze and stop responding. Can this issue be fixed or was I unlucky and got a faulty drive? How should I proceed? I have recorded the sound if you need listening to it and I could make a video of the whole process to show you how the issue begins at the first place. My experience suggests that clicking noises are a bad thing for hard disks. But how possible is that the hard disk was faulty when it left the western digital factory? I considered western digital as the best hard disk manufacturer and a very reliable company. Please advise.

Regards,
Apostolis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2016, 01:24 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
the hard disk starts making a clicking sound every 2 seconds
A clicking HDD is a HDD that has failed, return it to WD for a free Refurbished one in return: Warranty Status | WD Support
Old 05-10-2016, 01:10 AM   #3
Registered Member

I took the drive to the technician and told me that the drive is fine and that he checked it with a diagnostic tool. How is this even possible? Is it possible that different diagnostic tools show other results? Or could it be that the technician did a sector analysis but not a read/write test? I am confused. I will go there today and be present at the diagnostic tool that the technician used and we will do it again together and tell him about what I did but this is odd.

Any suggestions?

Yesterday, I ran the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows quick test and got this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2016, 01:45 AM   #4
Registered Member

My System

WD Red Drives are designed for NAS systems in a RAID, not for standard desktops.
It also could be your setup. Change the SATA cable with a known good one. Choose a different power plug from the PSU. Use a different SATA port on the motherboard. Try the drive in a different computer.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:17 AM   #5
Registered Member

I initially installed it at a RAID enclosure as a RAID10 setup with 4 identical 4TB red drives, formatted it and as soon as I tried to copy files to the RAID, the system froze and the drive at bay 1 (the one that seems to have the problem) started making this sound, it's like trying to access some part of the disk but fails and tries again and again. After a while the green led above bay 1 turned red which means the drive has failed inside the raid, I restarted the raid and the rebuild led was flashing but couldn't rebuild maybe because the drive is faulty. That was my initial approach. Then I thought, ok it could be the enclosure or the controller so I changed the bay for this drive to bay 2, reformatted and again the same behavior at bay 2 this time, bay 1 was fine. Then I removed 2 drives and created a RAID1 with two other red drives and worked flawlessly, I copied, I pasted, transfer speed was at usb3 level as it should be, no weird sounds and noises. That was crucial because I realised the enclosure is ok (it is a new one and of very good quality one from OWC if you know them).

So after all this, I gave it to the technician and at first he told me that I brought him a complete functional drive but unformatted. I wondered was it so obvious? I started having second thoughts. And I took it home to test it with a direct connection to the motherboard's sata (the cables work fine, I checked them with another drive). So I had the same behavior as an internal drive without a raid setup.

Here, I have uploaded the sound it makes after I tried to copy and paste a file to the drive (sorry I had to zip it as I am not allowed to upload sound files).

I hope that with my visit to the technician the issue will be settled and I will get a replacement drive.
Attached Files
File Type: zip hdd sound.zip (485.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 05-10-2016, 02:46 AM   #6
Registered Member

My System

You don't have to bring it to a technician. Just RMA it back to WD using the link in post #2. They may request your DataLifeGuard results.
Be advised, that they do not send you a new drive back in return but a Refurbished one, that will probably fail sooner then a new drive.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:55 AM   #7
WesternDigital
Representative

Hi @apostolis21!

I'm sorry to hear about what happened with the drive, I know how unpleasent it can be.

Since the test results are not comleted and there's an 07 error code showing up, then IMO it will be best to RMA the unit back to us. You can the links provided by @spunk.funk to contact our support line.

Best of luck!
Closed Thread