Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

New SSHD, Partition Issue.

This is a discussion on New SSHD, Partition Issue. within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just got a new Seagate FireCuda 3.5" 1TB drive yesterday. I cloned the hard drive in my laptop so

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to AlienVibes

I just got a new Seagate FireCuda 3.5" 1TB drive yesterday. I cloned the hard drive in my laptop so I didn't have to worry about installing windows. The laptop had a 700GB HDD and I belie that is my issue. Looking under disk management in windows 10 I only have a 674.52GB partition, but I have a 229.83GB partition of unallocated space. I've tried a few different programs to move that partition to the Drive (C:) partition but no luck. Although, I'm probably just doing it wrong. Here's a screenshot of what my disk management looks like. https://imgur.com/FHySrxy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2017, 03:08 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

This is your new SSHD that is in the picture, correct?

Do you want the allocated space apart of the C drive or a separate letter?
Old 12-27-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Either the laptop HDD had several Partitions on it, or there were partitions on this "New" SSHD and the clone just added to them.
Since your laptop has different drivers and registry points, cloning it to a 3.5" SSHD for a desktop is not desirable, I am amazed that it booted at all.
You should start again. Windows 10 ISO image is Free. Burn the ISO image with the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. Boot off of the newly created media and choose your Language, choose Custom Install. In Where to install Windows, Delete ALL Partitions, until the drive is Unallocated Space. Then go next, Windows will create partitions during the install and format them.
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2017, 09:32 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
This is your new SSHD that is in the picture, correct?

Do you want the allocated space apart of the C drive or a separate letter?
Yes, I do want it to be apart of the C drive.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Either the laptop HDD had several Partitions on it, or there were partitions on this "New" SSHD and the clone just added to them.
Since your laptop has different drivers and registry points, cloning it to a 3.5" SSHD for a desktop is not desirable, I am amazed that it booted at all.
You should start again. Windows 10 ISO image is Free. Burn the ISO image with the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. Boot off of the newly created media and choose your Language, choose Custom Install. In Where to install Windows, Delete ALL Partitions, until the drive is Unallocated Space. Then go next, Windows will create partitions during the install and format them.
I'll have to give that a shot. Can it be done with a USB? I have a 32GB USB drive, but I don't have any DVD's currently to burn it onto.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:02 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Burn the ISO image with the Microsoft Media Creation Tool.
Yes, you can burn the Windows installer to a 6GB USB Flash drive or larger for free using the Media Creation Tool.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:23 AM   #7
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Rosam is right, you can't expand unless all the partitions in between are eliminated. Merging might not be a good way to proceed, since Win installs have additional partitions and you would be merging and saving files from those partitions which are no longer required.

You can create a new partition using the unallocated space and use that as an additional partition.

The best and clean way would be to wipe the drive clean and run a fresh install, add the old hard drive to another SATA port or a HDD caddy and then copy your required files manually. In the long run this will make it easier to troubleshoot future windows boot issues, otherwise repair would find 2 separate OS installations and would cause conflicts.
Closed Thread