Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New SSD intalled but wants to boot to an IDE drive

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Old Rich 
#1 ·
I copied my C: from an IDE drive to an SSD and it booted up just fine the first time. The last reboot (days later) failed, displaying the IDE's O/S boot options.

I went into the BIOS and sure enough, the IDE was listed first in the priority so I moved the Sata SSD first and saved but on reboot, it again displayed the IDE's boot. Again the BIOS showed the IDE first and again I switched and saved, but the same thing happened.

I again moved the SSD first, left the menu and went back and it was how I left it with SSD first. I saved and rebooted - same problem.

Next, on reboot, I clicked ESC to manually choose the SSD boot drive. That worked.

So the BIOS sure likes to keep the IDE first. Anyone know what's going on?

A couple things I could try: removing the boot menu from the IDE; somehow redirect the IDE boot to the SSD.

Does it matter which Sata MB port is used - I did not think so?

Thanks,
Gary Davis
Webguild

See less See more
#4 ·
It turns out the SSD is Sata #1. I tried saving the updated boot order and another parameter (Boot CDROM removed) and only the parameter change survived the reboot.

I unplugged the IDE and tried a reboot and it displayed BOOTMGR MISSING. The Esc/Boot Drive select did boot me up, fortunately (I had just used EasyBCD to remove some old O/S entries from the SSD).

I attached some images of the Boot and BIOS prior to removing the IDE.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Gary

Attachments

#5 ·
Oh, I forgot to answer, my MB is an ABIT NF-M2 nView, about 5 years old.

The reason for the BOOTMGR IS MISSING was that in removing the IDE, it left the SATA2 (see above image) as the 1st boot drive instead of the SSD (SATA1) which prior to moving up (image), was after the IDE and SATA2 so it was trying to boot from a drive with no O/S.

So, I again moved the SSD into the 1st priority, saved and rebooted. The PC booted this time. I shutdown and checked the BIOS and it had successfully saved the boot priortity this time.

I then plugged the IDE back in, booted and checked the boot priority and this time, the SSD remained in the 1st slot and the IDE was at the end (just above Bootable Add-in Cards - of which I have none).

So, I'm good now.

Thanks for helping - it is strange the BIOS failed to save my inital attempts to rearrange the boot priority list.

Thanks,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.