Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New SSD as primary or secondary for laptop?

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Old Rich 
#1 ·
I am planing on buying a new SSD around 120GB. I ordered a HHD caddy which replaces DVD-ROM.
Of course I will have to format my current HDD and install OS on new SSD.
So guys I have couple of questions:
1. Should I install my SSD to place where my HDD is now and put HDD inside dvd replacing caddy? Or should I leave my HHD untouched and put SSD instead of DVD-ROM, but still install OS on SSD? Does it make any difference?
2. If I choose whatever option for question 1. will BIOS recognize my DVD-ROM if I plug it in using USB-ESATA cabel? Do I need any other configuration?
3. Too be sure, hdd and ssd has same form factor right?

P.S. I have ASUS N53SV laptop

#4 ·
Yes SSD and your 2.5 HDD have some form factor maybe some SSDs are little smaller but not very much

In this case to keep things simple, why not use the external case to plug your HDD and connect that through E-sata to your laptop instead of removing the DVD ROM
What is the interface that your laptop uses for DVD ROM

and yes if you have a external DVD ROM it will be detected under your BIOS on startup as long as its connected

#5 ·
I am planing on buying a new SSD around 120GB. I ordered a HHD caddy which replaces DVD-ROM.
Of course I will have to format my current HDD and install OS on new SSD.
So guys I have couple of questions:
1. Should I install my SSD to place where my HDD is now and put HDD inside dvd replacing caddy?

Yes
Or should I leave my HHD untouched and put SSD instead of DVD-ROM, but still install OS on SSD? Does it make any difference?

The drive in the caddy may not be capable of booting

2. If I choose whatever option for question 1. will BIOS recognize my DVD-ROM if I plug it in using USB-ESATA cabel?

It should . . look in BIOS and see if there is an option to boot from USB
Do I need any other configuration?
3. Too be sure, hdd and ssd has same form factor right? Right

P.S. I have ASUS N53SV laptop

#6 ·
Thanks for answers. I will go with the way Old Rich confirmed my concerns.

Well anyway I will have to remove my DVD-ROM, because I want to keep my laptop portable so retaining my DVD-ROM is not an option, because ~120 GBs are way not enough, plus I have used my DVD-ROM only twice in a half year - installing windows and installing laptop specific drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.