Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

New HDD external Hard drive Help Needed!

This is a discussion on New HDD external Hard drive Help Needed! within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. HI guys i recintly purchased a 2.5" external hd and case i formatted and patitioned it on a windows xp

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 01:05 AM   #1

HI guys i recintly purchased a 2.5" external hd and case i formatted and patitioned it on a windows xp laptop and when i un pluged and pluged it into my vista desktop my desktop pc did not see it.

1) are there compatability issues i need to counter?

2)is it cause i need the nessesary drivers?

3)do i have to in some way make it a removable drive?

i also have a 3.5" external HDD with case and it was also formatted and partitioned on a xp machine yet i can just plag and play. is there some step i missed out that i need to do?

Sincerely

Dilux
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2007, 01:23 AM   #2

I have managed to fix the problem its very strange how i did cant understand how it worked but it did nun the less

as most know a external drive has 3 connecters on the usb cable all i did was
connect one to the card drive one to vista machine and the third one to the laptop.

thanx guys
lol looks like im more of a spammer than some one that askes questions since i solved it my self
Old 06-14-2007, 04:55 AM   #3

hey guys it seems the only way i can make my vista pc see my external hard drive is to plug it into an xp and the vista pc at the same time can any one tell me how to fix this strange problem
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thread disappeared
There was a thread in the hard drive forum about backing up the hard drive. It was very useful and I had asked a question in there. But it appears to have gone. I think it was a sticky. The address was https://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=93846&page=2 Where has it gone?
18seconds Comments & Announcements 10 08-17-2006 02:28 PM
Bios won't recognize Hard Drive...
When the bios does not recognize a hard drive, does that mean the hard drive is completely dead? Here is the long story: My new computer died (later turned out to be a video card issue) and I was trying to determine what was the problem. I decided to check to see if the new hard drive would be...
xnera Hard Drive Support 8 03-25-2005 07:32 AM
external hard drive replacement, 120GB drive, only reads 32GB
I have a firewire/USB external hard drive (Western digital). Recently the hard drive died. I bought a new hard drive 120GB Maxtor Diamondmax plus ATA/133 HDD (Old one was 80GB) to replace. When I put it in and try to format it in Windows XP, it will only read 32GB (31.4). If I put this hard drive...
bmcelvan Hard Drive Support 4 01-15-2005 11:53 AM