Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

New hard drive not initializing

This is a discussion on New hard drive not initializing within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently got around to installing a new, 1TB hard drive, as my computer was running low on space. However,

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 11:58 AM   #1
Registered Member

I recently got around to installing a new, 1TB hard drive, as my computer was running low on space. However, while attempting to create volume for the first time after installing, my Pc randomly froze and shut down, now when I attempt to open up my disk manager, it shows the disk as uninitialized, and when I attempt to initialize to mbr, it returns "Task failed due to I/O device error" or something extremely similar, I have tried multiple things and nothing has worked. I know it cannot be the connections, and it cannot be incompatible as it is exactly the same hard drive I am already using. Help would be greatly appreciated and I can provide anymore info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2018, 09:52 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

See if you can clean the disk using diskpart:

How to Diskpart Erase/Clean a Drive Through the Command Prompt | Seagate Support
Old 07-28-2018, 11:53 PM   #3
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Sounds like a defective drive. Try a different sata cable and what Masterchiefxx17 said. If no dice, return it for a refund or replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2018, 05:39 AM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by eavengp View Post
I recently got around to installing a new, 1TB hard drive, as my computer was running low on space. However, while attempting to create volume for the first time after installing, my Pc randomly froze and shut down, now when I attempt to open up my disk manager, it shows the disk as uninitialized, and when I attempt to initialize to mbr, it returns "Task failed due to I/O device error" or something extremely similar, I have tried multiple things and nothing has worked. I know it cannot be the connections, and it cannot be incompatible as it is exactly the same hard drive I am already using. Help would be greatly appreciated and I can provide anymore info
I agree it sounds like bad hard drive but also have to agree you have told us nothing about the hardware and not even your OS is even listed in your user panel and all of that could make a difference in our answers here.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:36 AM   #5
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Agree with Stance, I/O errors are usually associated with hardware, bad cable, ports etc..

Closed Thread