Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

New Hard Drive in WinXP

This is a discussion on New Hard Drive in WinXP within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So, my Maxtor 80GB HDD FAT32 in my WinXP Pro computer has begun to give occasional 'Bootable Disk not found.

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 09:17 AM   #1

So, my Maxtor 80GB HDD FAT32 in my WinXP Pro computer has begun to give occasional 'Bootable Disk not found. Insert a Bootable Disk and press Enter' messages. About every fifth boot.
I bought a new Seagate 80GB HDD, and used Norton Ghost to clone the two partitions. Used Partition Magic to Set the first Partition to Active. Put the new Seagate in as HDD 0, primary.
I boot the computer, and get 'Operating System Not Found'

I have done this for other computers, and got 'NTLDR not found'.

Can anyone tell me how to fix WinXP so all data can be moved to the new Hard Drive? Different procedure with Ghost? Re-run Setup after the move? What???
Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2006, 09:53 AM   #2
Troubled

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64, Vista Ultimate 64, have runned all xp versions and a few linux distros

Grin

Buy a maxtor drive and use their MAxblast software to clone the drive.
Just an idea... albeit lame.. It is the easiest way!
In my opinion GHOST SUKS!
You might also want to check and see if the power supply to the maxtor drive has a good connection if you have an extra four pin in your machine try disconnecting the one connected and connect the spare one. BE SURE YOU KNOW THE DANGERS OF STATIC AND HOW TO BE CAREFUL INSIDE YOU CASE!! STATIC CAN KILL!
Old 03-14-2006, 09:58 AM   #3
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

seagate have a utility to transfer your data to your new drive,if you did not get a disk with the drive d/l seatools from their site

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2006, 05:26 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
I think you may need to reconsider your set-up approach; by that I mean Fat32 on partitions larger than 32gig. Fat 32 does not like partitions larger than 32gig and will actually make some rather strange cluster crashes.

If you desire Fat32 (i still like fat32 for many reasons) but dont make partitions larger than 32gig (unless you use a program such as partition magic or Boot It NG) these type of partition managing programs have the ability to alter the cluster size to meet the needs of partitions larger than 32gig; however they will be VERY inefficient drive wasting cluster sizes especially when compared to the 4kb cluster size of NTFS.

If I were faced with your dilema: I would add another internal drive; set it up as a master drive; load an OS into it; then slave the old drive and recover your valuable data

I would not reccomend cloning a troubled drive unless you want to play with two troubled drives. Cloning is awesome; and is my right hand in the world of computer managment; however only clone a copy of a boot drive that is operating well!! I use xxclone (free trial in my signature) its kindergarten easy and awesomely dependable.

one more thing; did you copy any files such as DVD movies to your hard drive which may have been 4gigs or larger ??????? such file sizes makes fat32 fall on its face ????

also another tid bit; if you plan on cloning then you dont want a USB hard drive as USB hard drives are not bootable????? therefore you wont be able to "test" the clone and swap that is a very necessary procedure to gain the confidence that you are able at any given time swap out your boot drive with the cloned version and not miss a moments use of the computer >>>> that my friend is the ultimate back-up strategy!!! Norton Ghost is a good cloning program but not an easy one for begineers; there are no advantages to ghost over xxclone >>>>> but there are many advantages to xxclone over ghost and acronis

please dont hesitate to ask more questions.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:33 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

also: in my opinion dont use Win XP disk mangement to partition the drive

there are other beneficial ways to partition; just ask when ready

disk mangement is EASY way but there is a price to pay and DEFINETLY never use disk mangment to format a drive with fat 32 if the drive is larger than 32gigs in TOTAL size.

If you want the whole skinny to read on this issue just ask. Windows XP and microsoft really want to twist your arm into using NTFS file system
Old 03-14-2006, 05:40 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

just re-read the entire post !!! I am a DAH !!

you are using PM great >>>>> you have a second drive to use ~~ another awesome

do a clean install of the OS on the new drive >>>> recover you data from the old drive.

get the new drive loaded with all data, progs, etc when running really well clone that drive to the old drive which can then becoem your bullet proof back-up

but there are still the issues to address >>>>> not a good thing to use partitions larger than 32 gig >>>> and cant store or mess with files larger than 4 gig >>>> like hard drive image files maybe ???????

let me know how you wish to proceed and we can formulate a method for set-up if you desire
Closed Thread