Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New build: Windows will not load from hard drive

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  greenbrucelee 
#1 ·
I loaded Windows 7 to the new build and it runs fine when the cd is in the drive. But when I set it to boot from the hard drive it just comes up to an empty screen with a cursor and does not load windows. It works fine when the Windows CD is in the drive. It doesn't even have to be booted from the cd, just have the cd in the drive. Please help. The build is as follows:

Asus M5 A88-V
AMD FX 6100
Wester Digital Blue 250gb Sata 2500 HD

#2 ·
Did you set the hard drive as the first boot device permanently in the BIOS settings, or just by using the quick-access, non-permanent boot device selector that some computer's have?

If you used the latter, you should instead set the first boot device in the BIOS settings, then "Save & exit" (usually by pressing F10).

#4 ·
Update: So I am using a IDE DVD ROM drive at the moment until my new sata DVD ROM drive comes in. I unplugged the IDE drive and the pc booted from the hard drive??? WTH? Any suggestions. When I plug the IDE drive back in... it refuses to boot from the hard drive.

#6 ·
Thats the first thing I thought but even if I disable the cd rom drive in the boot order it still will not boot from the hard drive unless that drive is completely unplugged. I'm not sure where else it would be telling it to boot from the cd rom?

#7 ·
In the Bios, there should be a boot priority for the various ports. It is probably set to the Primary IDE Port as the first port to boot from then SATA port 0,1,2 etc. You must change the Boot Priority of the ports to SATA port 0 as first boot device. And Primary IDE later. You can still have CD rom drive as First Boot Device under Boot Sequence if that makes any sense to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.