Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need to migrate OS from HDD to a new SDD

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  hamishgillan 
#1 ·
So I just bought myself a shiny new Intel 120GB SSD, but have never transferred an OS to a new disk. In looking for information on the transfer, I see alot of talk about imaging the entire disk. I have a bunch of music, home videos, pictures, etc. on my 2TB HDD that I don't want moved over, there's no reason to put them on the SSD. Can I move JUST program and system files and assign the new drive as the boot drive? What's the best way to go about this? In the documentation with the SSD it says that Intel has some migration software available, is this the best route to go, and do I install it to the HDD and then install the SSD and run the software?

never done this before, and any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance! :)

#5 ·
yes if you have your windows operating system installation disk put your new ssd in place and install windows fresh onto the new ssd, there may be other issues such as windows xp i do not think work well with ssds, but then you transfer all the files from your big hdd drive to another formatted drive and reformat the 2tb hdd to remove yr old windows installation so that there is only one active copy of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.