Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Need Some Hard Drive Advice

This is a discussion on Need Some Hard Drive Advice within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Dell Dimension 4700, It came Pre-loaded with XP-Home. Currently has a WD Caviar SE 80 Gig HD.

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to mjwidd Send a message via Yahoo to mjwidd

I have a Dell Dimension 4700, It came Pre-loaded with XP-Home.
Currently has a WD Caviar SE 80 Gig HD. I'm looking to upgrade to a Larger drive. {1} Is there any benefit to bigger is better, ex: 250/500/750???????

I'm looking at a Western Digital Caviar SE16 3.5" 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive WD5000AAKS, 7200 RPM, 16MB Cache

{2} I have NO O/S cd. How will I transfer my data, Info, etc from one to the other. As I beleive the new Drive will be blank. Am I correct on this?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank's Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2009, 07:21 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

If Dell didn't ship recovery cds there should be an option to burn recovery disks from teh recovery partition on the factory drive. You can use something like driveimagexml to make a clone of the disk, you will need to use a partition angement program to expand the partition to use the full disk after the clone since the clone makes an exact image of the original drive.. right down to size.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:35 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to mjwidd Send a message via Yahoo to mjwidd

I have limited experience with this sort of stuff. I'm wondering if I should just get another copy of XP. from NewEgg or something?

What is the overall complexity of this procedure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

If you use the drive to drive copy function in DriveImage XML it doesn't take long at all, and very easy to do. It's pretty much select source and target. You install DriveImage on the old working drive. Install the new drive. Old is source, new is target. When it's done you shut down and replace the old with the new. It should boot up without problems. If there are any probs, you can put the old drive back in a go from there. I tried it a couple months ago, From the time I started up DriveImage until I successfully booted from the new drive was 25 minutes. However, I leaned down the old drive to about 5 or 7 gigs first. More data means more time.
Closed Thread