Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Need serious help with SSD installation and Windows 7

This is a discussion on Need serious help with SSD installation and Windows 7 within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys, So I bought a new SSD this past week (Samsung EVO 840) and I decided to reformat my

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 07:08 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys,

So I bought a new SSD this past week (Samsung EVO 840) and I decided to reformat my computer and install a fresh copy of Windows on the SSD. I plugged it in an empty SATA slot, installed Windows and did the windows updates. When I went to restart, it gave me "DISK BOOK FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ERROR".

So I researched online and people said that SSD needs to run on AHCI and not IDE to maximize its full potential so I went into BIOS and changed it to AHCI and disabled the Serial ATA Controller setting. Then I plugged it into a SATA_RAID0 and booted Windows 7 CD and it didnt recognize my hard drive when Windows 7 asked where to install Windows.

Now, what I am thinking is I put it into the SATA_RAID0 slot and thats why it is not reconizing my SSD but then if I plug it back to a SATA slot, I might just get the "Disk boot failure" error again.

I have an ASUS M2N-SLI deluxe motherboard.

Can someone help me with this issue? I am totally lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Plug the SSD drive into SATA port 0 on the motherboard.Boot into Setup (Bios) be sure to set the HDD mode to AHCI. Go to Hard Drive Boot options, not to be confused with the Boot tab, Make sure The Bios recognizes your SSD, and that it is set to be the first Hard Drive to boot from. Now go to the Boot tab and make the CD/DVD rom drive the First Boot Device. Save and Exit. Boot off of the Windows DVD and it should recognize the HDD to boot from if not follow these instructions:
No Drive to install Windows 7:
1– Boot from the Windows Disc/USB
2- Go to Repair Your Computer, Or Press Shift + F10 to go directlyto the Command Prompt
3- In the RE (recovery environment) choose command prompt and type following commands pressing Enter after each bold command:
i) diskpart
ii) list disk
it will show the list of your drives, with the information:
- status
- total space
- free space
status would probably be "invalid" and free space would be "0 bytes"
you have to select the drive next with

iii) select disk <disk number>
disk number = as listed in previous command, normally 0
iv) clean (this erases all data on the Disk, so be sure you choose the correct one)now for verification of disk status and free space type
v)list disk
the status should be "online" and free space should be "disk size"
vi)exit

4- now restart the machine and boot from the Windows Disc/USB again
proceed and at "select disk to install windows" you would be able to view the hard disk drives
Old 11-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the response. I finally got it working but I am not convinced its fully installed. I plugged in the SSD to my SATA1 slot (I dont have/see a SATA0 port) and I installed Windows on it. Everything worked fine but then I realized that the Samsung EVO840 has some bugs that will slow down the speed so a firmware update is needed. Now, my board uses an nvidia 570 nforce chipset, not an AMD chipset. The nforce southbridge has SATA ports, but they do not support proper AHCI implementation. The 2 Jmicron ports do support AHCI, but they require a special jmicron driver. None of the Samsung tools work on non AHCI drives, or J Micron controllers.

Therefore, can I do this? The current SSD already has windows installed on it.

1. Plug SSD to my laptop and wipe drive clean
2. Update the firmware on the SSD using the Samsung tools using my laptop.
3. Plug back into desktop and install fresh copy of Windows.

Will this work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #4
Enthusiast

My System

ssd must be in a sata 6Gbps port
disconnect any mechanical drive before installing windows
once windows is installed update firmware (you cant update the firmware without windows being installed)
plug mechanical drive back in
Old 11-08-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
Registered Member

Its currently in a 4Gbps port. My motherboard doesnt have any SATA ports over 4Gbps.

So I am installing the Restoration Software after installing Windows 7. But for some reason the progress has stalled at 9%. It has been at 9% for over 30 minutes now.

I check online (https://www.samsung.com/global/busine...ration_v11.pdf), and on Page 12, which is the error I am seeing, they have a fix for it. But when I go to Device manager, it doesnt show my SSD on there (https://s1.postimg.org/4og0piir3/picture.jpg) so I cannot uninstall the driver.

The SSD is actually recognized under "Disk Drive"
Old 11-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
Enthusiast

My System

did you do as I say and disconnect any mechanical drive before installing windows onto the ssd?

windows by default doesn't see an ssd as a drive and with a mechanical drive connected parts of the os could be on one drive and the rest on the other. Therfore leaving you with no boot drive.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #7
Registered Member

My System

If you previously had Windows installed on a mechanical HDD and added an SSD, the mechanical HDD will still have the hidden 100 MB Boot partition and when Windows install it will use that boot partition for your new Windows installation. If you unplug the mechanical drive, the SSD will not boot.
That is why it is suggested to remove all mechanical HDD's before installing Windows, so it will create the Hidden 100 MB partition on the SSD.
If you only have a 4Gbps SATA port, the SSD drive will work but it will not transfer data at the higher speed. You can get an PCIe 6Gbps card to plug the SSD into to take advantage of the higher speed.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #8
Registered Member

When I installed Windows on the SSD, I disconnected all other hard drives. Currently the SSD is still the only one connected.

So with that being said, can I now go ahead and plug out the SSD from my computer, connect it to a laptop using SATA and install the firmware fix on it? Do I have to boot through my SSD or can I use the windows from my laptop itself?
Old 11-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #9
Registered Member

My System

If you can boot to Windows with the SSD, you can run the Firmware from there. If not, then remove the SSD and attach it to your laptop to apply the Firmware and then re-attach it to the computer to do a clean install of Windows.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #10
Registered Member

I dont think you can apply the firmware without having windows installed on the SSD. So my question is that can I boot from my laptop windows or I have to boot from SSD windows (that is, if the laptop will boot is since the drivers may be different).
Old 11-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #11
Enthusiast

My System

as I said you need windows installed on the ssd to be able to download the firmware for the drive.
Closed Thread