Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Need Help Understanding SSD storage capacity

This is a discussion on Need Help Understanding SSD storage capacity within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I want to upgrade my Desktop PC to SSD hard drive and am quite confused by statements made about choices.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Stancestans
  • 1 Post By Rich-M
Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 06:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

I want to upgrade my Desktop PC to SSD hard drive and am quite confused by statements made about choices. For example the
Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD - CT500MX500SSD1(Z)
states that with 500 GB of flash storage, if "allows you to select storage capacities between 250 GGB and 2 TB." Simply put, I don't get it. Is this a hybrid? It doesn't say anything about a disc HD in addition to the flash.

I want both storage and speed and, if it wouldn't defeat the benefit of the SSD for my Windows 10 Pro, I would locate my "My documents" default storage folder on a separate HD. I'd prefer not to spend the money on a 1 TB or 2 TB SSD if there's no advantage to it but right now I'm just confused. Any guidance or feedback/clarification would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 06:37 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

It simply means the Crucial MX500 series comes in various capacities of 250GB, 500GB, 1TB and 2TB, so you have various options to choose from depending on your purchasing power and/or storage requirements.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:14 AM   #3
Registered Member

Well that makes sense.. thanks. So... given that regular hard drives are now being offered in the 4-6TB capacity at remarkably low prices I see and SSD's start at 250GB, am I correct in assuming that a lot of people are using the SSD for the OS and some other programs and using standard hard drives for storage of work files? If this is the case, how much of that wonderful SSD speed does one lose when pairing the SSD with a traditional HD? OR, am I a lot better off saving up until I can afford a properly sized SSD HD?
PS: I know some people are saving their work in the cloud but with lousy DSL that is only slightly better than dial up.. I don't have the luxury of that option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 09:22 AM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Yeah DSL is scary and so many folks on Windows 10 cannot really do the semi annual builds properly as that junk is so slow and have to find other ways to upgrade their systems. BTW satellite which used to be dog slow (sorry dogs) has come a long way for those who cannot get cable or Fios.
I suppose there is a matter of opinion here but the majority of folks use a small Ssd drive for OS and program installs with mechanical hard drive for storage and there is nothing wrong with that approach for the best use of your money as you say starting with 250 but not too long ago when prices were way higher we could get away with 128 Ssd drives and hard drive for storage.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #5
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevTim View Post
Well that makes sense.. thanks. So... given that regular hard drives are now being offered in the 4-6TB capacity at remarkably low prices I see and SSD's start at 250GB, am I correct in assuming that a lot of people are using the SSD for the OS and some other programs and using standard hard drives for storage of work files? If this is the case, how much of that wonderful SSD speed does one lose when pairing the SSD with a traditional HD? OR, am I a lot better off saving up until I can afford a properly sized SSD HD?
PS: I know some people are saving their work in the cloud but with lousy DSL that is only slightly better than dial up.. I don't have the luxury of that option.
There are SSDs smaller than 250GB. Yeah, SSDs keep dropping in price and increasing in capacity hence increasing adoption; the typical usage being for OS and certain programs that significantly benefit from the faster speeds, while the bulk of data is stored on traditional hard disk drives. That wonderful SSD speed is experienced only when working with data stored on the SSD, while operations on data stored on the HDD are still limited by the slower HDD technology, regardless of whether the OS and programs are running from the SSD.

The largest SSD available today costs a fortune and it's gonna take a while to make them even bigger and more affordable, so HDDs are still the go-to option for bulk storage for most people. I have zero doubt that, like most people, you're better off with a small SSD for OS and certain programs that will benefit from the speed boost, and a large HDD, maybe even two HDDs for redundancy.
RevTim likes this.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:03 AM   #6
Registered Member

Well.. that clears it up nicely so thanks to both of you for that. I'll spring for the 500GB SSD and down the road once my HDD's are maxed out, will step up to a bigger one. By then they'll probably have HDD's with 1 petabyte storage... imagine that for a moment. Remembering back to my first PC with a hard drive. Held a massive 20 MB of data. Never get tired seeing how fast technology evolves.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

You know what really makes no sense today you can buy a decent Ssd drive of either 250 gb for half the price of a 250 gb hard drive and a 480-500 Gb drive for less than a 500 Gb hard drive but when you get to a Tb Ssd drive that is still 3 times the price of a 1 Tb hard drive.
RevTim likes this.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:32 AM   #8
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

SanDisk SSD PLUS 1TB Internal SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, 2.5"/7mm - SDSSDA-1T00-G26 - $99.99
Closed Thread