Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Need extra fan when adding HD?

This is a discussion on Need extra fan when adding HD? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Is it necessary for me to add a fan inside my computer when adding a second hard drive? Dell XPS

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 12:30 AM   #1
Registered Member

Is it necessary for me to add a fan inside my computer when adding a second hard drive?

Dell XPS 8930. 16 GB RAM.
Intel® Core™ i7-8700 6-Core Processor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019, 06:23 AM   #2
Elite Commander

My System

Send a message via MSN to VividProfessional

Hi,
No, I wouldn't think so, I have added extra HDD's to a system and never has to add a fan because of it.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:45 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

I have several HDD's in my desk top and I haven't had to add an extra fan, but if you are running an old mechanical HDD that is running hot, it would be a good idea.
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #4
Hardware Tech Team

My System

I agree with the above. The XPS 8920-8930 models are actually well designed for a compact near ITX design. See the video of the Gentleman in this youtube video where he has two spin drives and one SSD in an XPS 89** model.

-I can't see adding any extra fans unless you had heat issues, which i don't see happening
Old 03-24-2019, 04:09 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpareChange View Post
and one SSD in an XPS 89** model.
I wound up not needing the secondary drive because I tested using a 2nd drive and this video editing software (DaVinci Resolve) I was having problems with was still crashing. But maybe I'll clone to an SSD drive for more overall speed.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Error Cleaner, Privacy Protector - FakeAlert? Please advise.
Hi, My AV spotted FakeAlert trojan, but not before it did it's worst! I had antivirus warnings by the clock, many pop ups about spyware, genuine validation failed, No A:\ C:\ D:\ plus links to Error Cleaner and Privacy Protector on the desktop. I have a HJT log from before i ran combofix. Can...
MatcherMike Resolved HJT Threads 9 09-14-2008 10:58 AM
help with HiJackThis please
My daughter is home from college for the year with a mess on her computer. Would very much appreciate help with the below mess. - thanks, Ken ==================================================================== Log was analyzed using KRC HijackThis Analyzer - Updated on 4/1/05 Get updates...
islavir Resolved HJT Threads 8 05-20-2005 03:50 PM
HJT log help
Well I don't really know what is wrong with my computer. It is running extremly slow and ctrl+alt+delete stoped workin after I restarted comp. I get constant popups that come in less than 2 min intervals so i have to close them constantly. Also, I think i have a virus. The name of it I think is...
Twilight99 Inactive Malware Help Topics 12 03-31-2005 08:20 PM
Random problems...
Hi... I've been having a few problems with my computer.Sometimes it randomly restarts itself without warningI seem to have files in my Recycle Bin (according to the desktop icon) but when entering the Bin, there's nothing there. However when I press "empty" it tells me that there are 70+ files...
Zeokage Resolved HJT Threads 23 03-31-2005 05:02 PM
WinXP headaches
I have SP2 installed, but my problems began before the installation. My computer is not running at optimum performance. I have an Avant shell on IE, Opera and Firefox installed. Norton Anti-Virus and Firewall. Lexmark all-in-one printer. I keep the computer on, rebooting about once a week....
MarieJoe Resolved HJT Threads 14 10-30-2004 04:23 PM