Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

NAS Drive issue

This is a discussion on NAS Drive issue within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi All, I have a Buffalo Linkstation with a 1TB hard drive inside. Unfortunately this has stopped being recognised on

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 02:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Hi All,

I have a Buffalo Linkstation with a 1TB hard drive inside.

Unfortunately this has stopped being recognised on the network now so I can't get the files this way.

I have taken the drive out and its just a WD 1TB Green HDD.

I have plugged it into a Windows Machine and been to Disc Management but it says it needs to be initialised before it can be used, so I haven't bothered with that.

I believe it must be a Linux file system.

I just need to be able to get data off it as there is not a recent back up.

Can anyone suggest any ways I can do this.

I don't the drive is damaged and it should be readable, I think just something to do with the network bit is no longer right.
Many thanks,
Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Use the free TestDisk software. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack. You will need another drive of the same size or larger to restore your files to
Old 04-16-2015, 03:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi there,
Thanks for the reply.

Would TestDisk hopefully enable me to browse the drive as is currently is in Windows?

I have GetDataBack NTFS and FAT and have used this before successfully with Windows File Structures, but I don't think it will work with Linux will it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

If you read the instructions in the Link in post #2 you should be able to view the partition and it's files in TestDisk which is a Linux like program that reads Windows files. You will not be able to do anything with them until you Restore them to a different drive.
I have not tried it, but GetDataBack Simple should be able to read a Linux partition. Your lifetime product key should allow you to download and activate: https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm, if that doesn't work try the Runtime's NAS Data Recovery or DiskExplorer for Linux Data Recovery Software Products and Downloads - Runtime Software Products
Old 04-17-2015, 02:44 AM   #5
WesternDigital
Representative

Hi there.

You can try the programs that spunk.funk suggested, but if you don't get your data back I would recommend to consult with a data recovery company because the more you use your drive and try to repair/get back the files stored there, the worse the damage may become. Here's a link with few WD partners:

Data Recovery Partners

Hope this helps and best of luck! :)
Old 04-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

@craigs85, your NAS most probably has a Linux file system.

I recommend Linux Reader for Windows (freeware):
Access to Ext 2/3/4, HFS and ReiserFS from Windows

Depending on the actual file system, there may be other solutions.

Reiser FS - mounting in Windows:
The HDD Oracle. • View topic - Reiser FS - mounting in Windows

UFS Explorer:
UFS Explorer: Cross-Platform Data Recovery and Data Access Software

Free Linux Recovery for Windows | for Linux:
Data Recovery and File Undelete freeware for Linux files
Closed Thread