Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

My Toshiba HDD wiped itself wondering if there is anything i can do

This is a discussion on My Toshiba HDD wiped itself wondering if there is anything i can do within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Toshiba Canvio Basics 500GB Portable External Hard Drive 2.5 Inch USB 3.0 - Black - HDTB305EK3AA I plugged in my

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Toshiba Canvio Basics 500GB Portable External Hard Drive 2.5 Inch USB 3.0 - Black - HDTB305EK3AA

I plugged in my HDD to backup all the pictures stored on it so i could use it as a temp flash drive, as i was cutting everything over it crashed and wiped the drive, Im just wondering if its possible to get the data back I dont mind paying for a program that has a good chance of working..

thanks.
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

These 2 are generally pretty good
https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
This one you pay for https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:40 AM   #3
Moderator Hardware Team

OS: WinME, WinXP Pro SP3, Win7(x64), Linux distros incl. Ubuntu 9.10 & Netbook Remix & CD2USB, Slax6.1

My System

Testdisk is pretty good, especially as it is free .. but the bad news is that most programs I have tried do not see external drives and the only way around that is to open the box and connect them directly to the motherboard.

Another problem I have had is with some NAS drives .. whilst connecting to the motherboard allows you to do a surface check, you may not be able to view any files when the drive is directly connected to the motherboard ..

Don't forget to check your power supply too .. make sure that you use a good known working power supply with your external drive since a "noisy" can also give the appearance that the drive is up and running but just won't connect !

I'm not old!!
I'm age impaired

D_F

I DON'T PLAY GAMES

HDD DIAG UTILS

TSF's Photographer's Corner

How to Use Ubuntu to Recover Windows files
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2018, 03:49 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

As stated TestDisk is great Free Data Recovery software.
I have had the best luck with GetDataBack. Which is free to download and scan but cost a fee to Restore your files. And it supports External USB drives. You will need another drive with the same size or larger to restore your files to.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:11 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

I suspect that the drive's PCB has an integrated USB-SATA bridge, in which case a direct SATA connection would not be possible.

I would start by obtaining a SMART report from a tool such as CrystalDiskInfo. Look for reallocated, pending or uncorrectable sectors.

If the drive is sick, I would then clone it, sector by sector, with a tool such as HDDSuperClone or ddrescue.
Closed Thread