Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My PC makes odd noises ... coming from HDD?

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Networks 
#1 ·
so my PC hase some startup issues ... i recently bought new ATI graphics card ... and also a new 450 W PSU ... and my HDD seems not to cooperate well i ahve this PC for almost 3 years without any problems and i wa wondering if i already need new HDD ...

the startup is like this ... usually i hear a BEEP like power check went good and the PC starts but recently i has been like this ..

the PC starts ... no beep no VIDEO INPUT on screen and weird noises from hard drive coming ... every 3 seconds a 1 second sound like ... you scratched your boot in a indoor hall ... or like you ran over a seagull with your car ... if the scratching sounds last longer than 10 seconds ... afterwards a BEEP is released form PC and it starts however NO VIDEO INPUT still on screen ...

i manage to start the PC on 3rd - 5 th time ... with only one scratch sound ... then BEEP and it goes ... but if it last longer i know i have to turn off and wait and start over ... could this be by a scratched HDD ? i had a lot of formats on that HDD and a lot of things went through it ...do i need a new one ?

#2 ·
sounds like it maybe the Harddrive - they often make a clicking sound - called the click of death

A harddrive is made up of small disks spinning quite fast and above the disks are little arms that fly over the disk - so imaging the sound if those arm touch the spinning disks
Google Images
Google Images

if you imaging the speed of the drive A typical mobile HDD spins at either 4200 rpm, 5200 rpm, 5400 rpm, or 7200 rpm, with 5400 rpm being the most prominent.
Hard disk drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and then these arms flying across the disks - and touching - is that the sort of sound

I would backup any data you need off the drive ASAP

#3 ·
no its not like that ... it doesnt give a "crack" like that its mroe like this ...
to describe the bzz sound ... its not a sort of crack ... maybe i will record it tomorrow to show you

very quite ..... (lasting 3 seconds)

then bzzz .... (lasting 1 second) then ...

very quite ... again ...(lasting 3 seconds)

then bzzz .... (lasting 1 second) then ...

it goes on like this ... and if it takes whole more than 10 seconds NO VIDEO INPUT will appear on monitor and i have to wait to hear the windows 7 startup song to turn it off since i dont wanna hard reset it in middle of startup process...

usually if computer starts right i only hear only one or max two BZZ sounds from hard drive and then BEEP of the power check and it goes well ...

#4 ·
Dowload hddscan from hddscan.com and check the smart stats on the drive post an image of the results or download the manufacture diagnostic tool and get the dos version to boot from and test the drive report bck results

#11 ·
The motherboard uses power the cpu itself is 65watts to over 100watt itself then the hdd and cdrom they all add up. Your video card needs 400watts by itself. It all adds up YOU NEED A BIGGER POWER SUPPLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.