Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

My external Hard drive won't connect to my Laptop

This is a discussion on My external Hard drive won't connect to my Laptop within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I plugged the drive into my ps4 and formatted it on there then like 10 minutes later I plugged it

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By steve32mids
  • 2 Post By bassfisher6522
Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 03:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

I plugged the drive into my ps4 and formatted it on there then like 10 minutes later I plugged it back into my laptop and then it was registering as connected but wasn't showing up in my file explorer I've searched for hours on how to fix it but I can't get anything to work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Hi, and welcome to TSF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIssuemaster View Post
I plugged the drive into my ps4
What drive?

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Old 08-25-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Ok there is no way we can answer this with out you telling us more, first we have no idea from your description what you have done so as DJ asked what drive and what operating system, what have you tried as their is little point to us guessing what you did
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2018, 05:41 PM   #4
Game Team Tech

If you have formatted the hard drive on the ps4 it changes the file system to exfat which windows can't use unless of software is installed like to read the apple formatted.

windows likes fat fat32 and ntfs

https://www.disk-partition.com/windows-10/exfat-drive-not-recognized-windows-10-4125.html

here's a link to help you out.
bassfisher6522 likes this.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:01 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

With the drive plugged into your laptop, assuming you're running Windows 10, Press the Win Key+X and choose Disk Management. In the lower pane, Does the drive show up here?
Does it say it is Unallocated Space? Or at the Disk # (ie) Disk 1 Disk 2 etc Does it say Not Initialized? Or if the drive is partitioned and formatted, does it have a drive letter? You can right click the drive and choose Change Drive Letter or Paths. to assign a drive letter.
If it is not partitioned, you can right click the Unallocated Space and choose to create a new Simple Volume and format it NTFS.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:07 AM   #6
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve32mids View Post
If you have formatted the hard drive on the ps4 it changes the file system to exfat which windows can't use unless of software is installed like to read the apple formatted.

windows likes fat fat32 and ntfs

https://www.disk-partition.com/windo...s-10-4125.html

here's a link to help you out.
Windows supports exFAT natively, no need for third party software. It's even one of the filesystem formats listed when you right-click a volume to format it.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:29 AM   #7
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

My suggestion; this is for all gamer's who like to use external drives, is to use a separate drive for console and a separate drive for the PC. This way there is no chance of what you experienced, it will happen again.
Stancestans and sigman like this.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:28 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
My suggestion; this is for all gamer's who like to use external drives, is to use a separate drive for console and a separate drive for the PC. This way there is no chance of what you experienced, it will happen again.
In the first place, I don't understand why you didn't format the drive on the PC. Huh?
Old 08-28-2018, 09:33 PM   #9
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigman View Post
In the first place, I don't understand why you didn't format the drive on the PC. Huh?
I'm not the one with the problem.

Just stating what I and most gamer's do when using an external drive. I was just simply saying that one should keep a separate drive for each device. Doing this, will have no chance of having the format problem the OP is having when connecting from different devices with different OS systems.