Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

My External Hard drive-Blank

This is a discussion on My External Hard drive-Blank within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a huge problem- so i have an WD external hard drive (WDBAAF0010HBK USB 2.0 1 TB) and my

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a huge problem- so i have an WD external hard drive (WDBAAF0010HBK USB 2.0 1 TB) and my usb port on the external hard drive, fell off back into the case of the external hard drive- i took it into a pro recovery service, they took it out of the original case and installed it into another (no big deal right) Now they are saying there is nothing on the hard drive- it has all our pics and music on it so im desperate! they have had it for a week now and have ran several tests like- get data back, recovery my disk and Test Disk- The computer is reading the drive but there is nothing there?so if anyone could explain how my drive could mysteriously go blank- i would be so grateful! any options? ideas?
They said if there is still nothing after this last test, my option is to pay someone to solder back on the usb port that fell off in the first place- and pray that works or send it to the big dawgs that charge $800-1500 to recover the info-help please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

A single HDD or dual drive enclosure? I ask as the dual drive enclosures run RAID to appear as a single drive. If it's just a single drive, then moving it to another enclosure or installing it directly into a PC is no big deal.

If they can't "fix it", they obviously aren't a "pro recovery service".

The drive should be tested to ensure it isn't faulty. Aside from that, data recovery software should be able to recover the data.

And as you have now learned the hard way, you should have a backup copy of ALL data that you don't want to lose.

Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Locked out of External hard drive
Hi, I recently had my dell hard drive fried and I'm obviously unable to boot it up. In the meantime, I've tried to take my external hard drive to another computer to access my files. Problem is that the hard drive was password protected on the old machine with the fried hard drive. Now, every...
Dtown Hard Drive Support 1 05-26-2011 10:21 PM
Cloning Hard Drive
Here is the scenario I would like to solve: I currently have an older hard drive that is used on my previous pc. I have purchased an upgraded pc (same brand) and would now like to use the older pc's hard drive as backup storage on the new pc. Before reformatting and placing it into the new pc,...
rogers family Hard Drive Support 1 05-26-2011 11:13 AM
HFS+ USB External Hard drive not showing up in My Computer
Hi, I know there are plenty of threads about this already, and I already downloaded TestDisk after reading one, but my case seems to be a little different and I don't wanna go charging in and lose my data :grin: I have a LaCie Rikiki USB 500gb hard drive. I'm not too big on hard drive details, but...
suggsina Removable Media Drives 0 05-21-2011 01:30 PM
External Hard Drive transfer
I need to know easy steps how to transfer files and programs from my PC windows vista laptop to an external hard drive. And what does it mean when I tried to transfer a program to the external hard drive and it is on the external hard drive and has a shortcut arrow and I know it didn't transfer...
jimruthw Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 3 04-30-2011 09:59 AM
Can't recover files on external hard drive
I know that if a file gets overwritten after being deleted, it's basically done, but if files were deleted from an external (non-system) hard drive that had no additional data written to it since deletion, shouldn't most of the deleted files be recoverable? I had multiple gigs of data (mostly...
blackseven Hard Drive Support 3 02-17-2011 07:28 AM