Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Missing Hard Drive In XP Home

This is a discussion on Missing Hard Drive In XP Home within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was running Win ME on my PIII 1.2 on a 20G HD, with no problems. I Installed an 80G

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 06:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to corndale

I was running Win ME on my PIII 1.2 on a 20G HD, with no problems. I Installed an 80G HD, made it Master and the 20G HD Slave, and installed Win XP Home with Service Pak 1 on 80G HD. I have no problems running XP, and am not interested in dual booting. My problem is that I am not able to "see" the 20G HD in XP. The HD is listed in the BIOS as: Primary Slave WDC WD200EB-00CSF0, Maximum LBA Capacity 20020MB, CHS Capacity 8422MB. How can I access the 20G HD, reformat it with NTFS, and commence using it as a second HD? Is there a way to access the 20G HD prior to reformatting, so that I can copy some of the files onto the 80G HD? The files are not critical, so if the answer to this last question is no, it is not a problem.

Also, at the beginning of the XP installation, an 8G section of the 80G HD was automatically partitioned, and is now listed as letter "G." "C" is my 80G HD, "D" is my CDRW, "E" is my CD ROM, and "F" is my Parallel Zip 100 drive. The "G" drive is empty in My Computer. However, in TweakNow PowerPack 2003, under 'System Info' 'System Summary' 'Logical Storage Devices.' the drive displays with 7MB (4MB free) NTFS, and is listed as "Boot Directory G." Can I delete the "G" drive partition and merge it into the "C" drive partition? If the answer is yes, what is the process?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2002, 02:44 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to corndale

I received a reply advising me how to see the 20G HD (see the following)

I went to My Computer-Manage-Disk Management. This is what is displayed: Disk 0 "G" 8MB NTFS Healthy (System) Primary partition, and "C" 74.52 GB NTFS Healthy (Boot) Logical drive. Disk 1 HDD 18.65GB FAT32 Healthy (Active) Logical drive.

1. How can I access the data on Disc 1 to move it to Disc 0 and then format Disc 1 to NTFS?

2. Can I delete the "G" partition and make "C" the Primary partition without loosing whatever (System) information is on the "G" partition?
Closed Thread