Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

maxtor External 3200 series 500gb

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  paddy_mcginley 
#1 ·
Hi, not sure what has happened but following a power cut Sunday my ex drive has stopped working. My computer can't see the drive and device manager can't either. When drive power is plugged and unplugged it causes device manager to re check. Also on power up i can hear drive spin up but when top speed is reached i get a slow repetative clicking noise from it.
Can anyone please help, my priority is file recovery.
Thank-you.

#4 ·
Did you use the CD drive's cable?
Is the HDD alone on the ribbon cable? If not - make sure the jumper settings are correct. The hard drive is, most likely, set to master - so any other drive has to be configured as slave.
When you've checked that - can you "see" the drive in BIOS?

#5 ·
Hi Nicholas, I took the ex drive out of its case and plugged it into the cd's ribbon and power cables. The ribbon cable goes direct to the circuit board and although it has an outlet along it, this is not conected. I don't understand jumper arrangements, there is some guidedance on the outside of the drive case but i need more help with how to decide what to select. On boot up the BIOS says my main hard drive is Primary master and where i have plugged the broken one is Secondary master. The bios says device not recognised for Secondary master when auto is selected and the only change i can make is to select off.
Hope this helps
thank-you
Lee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.