Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Main hard drive out of space

This is a discussion on Main hard drive out of space within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I recently had a new pc built running win 7. As part of the configuration, I had a 60

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I recently had a new pc built running win 7. As part of the configuration, I had a 60 GB SSD boot drive and a 1 TB data drive installed. Little did I know but after installing my programs the 60GB SSD is all but used up.

I got the SSD because I run the adobe suite with photoshop and needed the faster read/write. I was hoping to be able to only have the OS and adobe on the boot drive but for some reason every time I install an additional program, it defaults the location to the boot drive (c) and I can't change it. Thats how my 60GB drive got used up so quickly.

My question is what is the easiest way to resolve this problem. As it is now, my c drive has less than 1 GB free and every new program gets defaulted to install there. I would like to keep the SSD (or another SSD) as my boot and adobe drive. I would love to be able to relocate my other programs to the 1TB data drive but not sure if thats possible. Do I need to buy a larger SSD and clone the existing one to the new and use the new as the c drive? I have seen several articles on the web showing different ways to approach this problem but they were all old and I figured may be obsolete.

I was also wondering if it was possible to change the change the default install location from the c drive to another location.

Thanks for any feedback....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Very seldom have I seen a program that you can't change the installation location. You typically just have to select "custom" or "advanced" installation, and you can choose the location.

As for cleanup, you will need to uninstall and reinstall the programs.

Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cloning Hard Drive
Here is the scenario I would like to solve: I currently have an older hard drive that is used on my previous pc. I have purchased an upgraded pc (same brand) and would now like to use the older pc's hard drive as backup storage on the new pc. Before reformatting and placing it into the new pc,...
rogers family Hard Drive Support 1 05-26-2011 11:13 AM
Corrupt c drive
I'm technologically challenged. I have an HP Pavilion e9270t, windows 7, intel Core computer. I tried to back up files today and get a message that say the backup did not successfully complete. Then: \Users\Chris\Documents because is it on corrupted drive C:\. Windows Backup skipped...
cea1054 Hard Drive Support 3 04-10-2011 08:11 PM
Randomly losing space on Hard Drive
Hi all, have a sequence of bizarre goings on with my computer tonight. First of, i thought i had a virus so i did a virus scan with Microsoft essentials. The scan finished, no virus but at the end it asked me to update essentials )to version 2 i think). Did so, restarted comp and essentials...
jamestt Windows XP Support 6 01-29-2011 09:46 PM
Hard drive restoring
I have a Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (32-bit)OS and I was going to transfer to Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit). I want to save my files and programs that I have on it and i heard that you would need to have a external hard drive to put them on there. I was wondering if i could put...
Blooo Hard Drive Support 0 01-09-2011 05:03 PM
How to copy your operating system from one drive to another.
Please do not post in this thread. I am rewriting an article. thanks. How to copy your operating system from one hard drive to another Published by JohnthePilot 11-28-2006 How to copy your operating system from one hard drive to another ________________________________________ How to...
JohnthePilot Dead-Sea Scrolls 2 03-05-2007 11:47 PM