Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

M2 SSD NVMe drive

This is a discussion on M2 SSD NVMe drive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a problem with a new Crucial M2 SSD drive: CT1000P1SSD8. I was getting errors from Windows 7 Professionl

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 06:30 PM   #1
grn
Registered Member

I have a problem with a new Crucial M2 SSD drive: CT1000P1SSD8. I was getting errors from Windows 7 Professionl (64bit) about the disk that I have all my user accounts on (the OS is on a separate 2.5" SSD drive).

I have an ASUS X99 Deluxe motherboard with an M2 interface with an i7 5960 CPU. After installing the new drive and rebooting the system the drive is listed in the BIOS but does not show among the other disks listed in the Computer folder. Looking at the device manager, there is an "Other devices" entry showing a PCI device that is not working.

Thinking this to be a driver issue, I tried searching both locally and on the internet but no driver was found. I also tried looking for update BIOS and Windows drivers on the ASUS site but without success. However, I download Crucial Storage Executive and this knows there is an NVMe SSD drive but cannot access it through the driver that is installed.

I've googled for solutions but drawn a blank there so would appreciate and suggestions you may have.

Many thank,

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2019, 07:34 PM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

What does your "disk management' window show?
Old 11-18-2019, 06:39 AM   #3
grn
Registered Member

The disk management window only lists the same drives as the Computer window. Don't know if that helps or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

The disk management window is different than the device manager. Could you post a screen shot of disk management window...the full window.

Usually, if it shows in the BIOS, then it shows in the disk management window. In there it's usually shown as unallocated as indicated by the color bar being black. There are steps to fix that.

Oh crap, I just realized that you using a STAT SSD with the M.2. This might be the problem. Most mobo that use M.2 share the bus lane, which means it takes up 2 standard SATA ports and renders them useless. Check your mobo manual for that. Which SATA ports it takes is different for each mobo manufacturer. Try moving your SSD to a different port ans see if your M.2 shows up.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:54 AM   #5
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Yep......https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...pecifications/
Old 11-18-2019, 01:03 PM   #6
grn
Registered Member

Hi bassfisher,

The Disk Managent screenshot is shown below. I've also been playing around with ports used and had a chuckle when the BIOS showed my new SSD card as the boot device.

As far as I can tell from the ASUS manual it might use ports 1 and 2 and I now have nothing attached on ports 1-4 just in case.

Thanks,

George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DevMgmt.PNG
Views:	13
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	324728  
Old 11-18-2019, 02:00 PM   #7
grn
Registered Member

I think I have solved the problem; Win7 does not support NVMe but there are updates available from Microsoft, given by the following two links:

Win 7 64 bit: https://www.sevenforums.com/attachme...me-win7x64.zip
Win 7 32 bit: https://www.sevenforums.com/attachme...me-win7x86.zip

Currentls running a fisk clone from faulty disk to new SSD.

Many thanks for your help.

George
Closed Thread