Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

M.2 Ssd Upgrade

This is a discussion on M.2 Ssd Upgrade within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was thinking the other day that now that prices seem to be coming down on M.2 drives I would

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 02:20 PM   #1
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

I was thinking the other day that now that prices seem to be coming down on M.2 drives I would like to upgrade my 240 drive in my custom desktop to a 512 Gb M.2 drive but while I have seen some desktop motherboards that have 2 M.2 slots, none of mine do, then it hit me, how would I be able to clone from the one drive already in use on my system to another. The only thing I can think of would involve cloning to a hard drive or regular ssd drive then put in the bigger M.2 drive and clone to that, making the job time consuming and of course double the work. I would also bet the same issue would occur on a laptop as I have yet to see a laptop with 2 such slots either.
Can anyone think of an easier way to accomplish this?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Using your favorite Clone Software, create a Bootable USB drive from the program. Boot off of the Recovery USB key with the clone program on it and create an Image file of your current SSD drive and save it to an External USB HDD. After that, shut down and replace the current M.2 SSD with the larger M.2. Again boot off of the USB Recovery key and choose to Restore Image to the new M.2 SSD.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:01 PM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

OMG thanks Spunk I completely forgot about restoring an image file, so simple but I prefer to clone and just forgot that option....

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2019, 01:43 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You could buy an M.2 SSD-USB adapter, but the Image File will give pretty much the same results.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:52 AM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

You know I just had a situation with a dead laptop and realized I owned nothing to be able to read one of those M.2 drives so I bought several because I also realized you need a reader for each of 3 different types as the first one I bought didn't even work on the drive I was trying to read and also realized I could clone one in my system through one of those after I posted this.

Closed Thread