Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

"lost" partition solved? -> other partition gets disk read error, windows won't boot

This is a discussion on "lost" partition solved? -> other partition gets disk read error, windows won't boot within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello. As I booted up my computer today, I was suddenly met by the fact that I could not access

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello. As I booted up my computer today, I was suddenly met by the fact that I could not access one of my partitions. I have two harddrives. The first one, which was bought and installed 2 years ago is divided up into two partitions. At first, I ran XP for almost all of the 2 years until like one or two months ago when I decided to install Win 7. At this time, the driver actually had three partitions, two small 80 gb partitions (I planned on perhaps dualbooting XP and vista but I never bothered with putting in vista). So when I wanted to put in win 7 I used a program which combined the two partitions to a 160 gb partition, and then I put in windows 7 (unfortunately I do not remember which program I used). Everything has been fine up until today, where my other partition (305gb big one from the same harddrive which is 465gb in total) did not show up when I was booted into windows 7 seemingly like normal.

So what I did to "solve" (dunno if it really is) it was to google around and finding these forums among other things, and I followed the steps in the stickied "Have you "lost" a harddrive" with testdisk. It told me I had geometry wrong, that I had 240 instead of 255 which NTSF is supposed to have according to it. I did not touch this however, I proceded to follow the steps accordingly and ended it all with write and rebooted. Now to my dismay. Disk read error occurred, and I can't boot up windows. I put in my windows 7 cd and manage to get into a menu where I'm supposed to search for drivers for the HD (which I don't have :P) and there I can see that my 305 gb partition is working again. I can go into it and copy the files to my other harddrive (1tb) so I do that just for the sake of not risking it further. The C:\ partition where windows is installed is however inaccessible.

Seemingly I could not repair it with the windows 7 cd since it wanted to either recreate the partition with a previously made image of it which I haven't got, or I have to put in harddrive drivers (I only have 1 DVD drive which the windows cd is in, and I don't have a floppy). So I made a parted magic disc and boot with it, and reach testdisk again. This time I just analyse. I get a warning that there are apparently hidden sectors present.

I quick search anyway, and get Structure OK (which I did previously as well, which is why I followed the steps to Write that time). Also, I don't seem to get any "geometry is wrong" like I did before. And it only goes to about 34% of the "Analyse cylinder xxxxx/60801" before it goes on to the next window. I'll see if I can get some screenshots up.

I would appreciate any help :/ don't really want to reinstall and lose all that's on C:\ unless it is the only way... Thanks in advance for any help.

*edit* here are some screenshots taken with parted magic when using testdisk...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	analyse.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	67684   Click image for larger version

Name:	analysisdone.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	67685  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
Registered Member

Third screenshot (not meaning to bump but seeing as I just posted this and no other thread has moved up above this one (I think) it will hopefully not be considered a bump :P) as you seem to have a maximum of 2 per post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hiddensectors.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	67686  
Closed Thread