Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Lost a bootable partition/copy of XP.... kind of

This is a discussion on Lost a bootable partition/copy of XP.... kind of within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi ppl, Didn't know where to put this as its software and hardware problem lol. so put it in two

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:18 AM   #1

Mistake

Hi ppl,

Didn't know where to put this as its software and hardware problem lol. so put it in two sections... Mods feel free to move/delete if in wrong section.

Right, I have two hard drives currently in my comp, both with XP Home installed. Both ATA. One is 250 gig (primary drive) and one is 40 gig (secondary).

I decided to reformat the 40 gig and install a fresh copy of XP. The install went fine however I have now lost access to boot onto the 250 gig. I can still access it from My Computer on 40 gig, the BIOS still picks it up on startup and its set as Primary Master, although it was set as Primary Slave before the reformat. Before BIOS used to give me the option to choose which drive I wanted to boot, which has now disapeared...

However if I look through msconfig BOOT.INI on the 40 gig thats working, it doesn't seem to pick up the other copy of Windows installed on the 250. Usually would be able to see all copies of Windows but can only see the 40 gig.

Things I have tried so far:
Set 250 and 40 to Primary Master/Slave and vica versa. didn't work
Reset BIOS. didn't work
Unplugged 40 gig but system tells me 'DISK BOOT FAILURE, ENTER SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER'

I am stuck and have no idea what to do... Any ideas?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 03:23 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

are both xp installs from the same disk using the same key? If so, then you will have to get rid of one since according to microsofts eula, you can only have one install of xp using the same key at a time.

If you are legal with two different xp installs then you will have to fix the boot.ini. See the following from microsoft

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022
Old 08-21-2008, 03:27 AM   #3

Yes both using the same disk although it didn't ask me for a key when installing (it is a real XP disc)

Thanks for the prompt reply I have been pulling my hair out for the last hour!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 03:48 AM   #4

Ok went to the link you put up (thanks again) however when I am in the cmd window i get an error messege when I type bootcfg /? it says: 'bootcfg is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or bach file'

Suggestions?
Old 08-22-2008, 04:51 AM   #5
Troubled

My System

Download EasyBCD and enter a new boot entry. That will allow you to boot in either.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by limz View Post
Ok went to the link you put up (thanks again) however when I am in the cmd window i get an error messege when I type bootcfg /? it says: 'bootcfg is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or bach file'

Suggestions?
Yep! The "bootcfg.exe" file is only shipped with XP Pro (not Home as you have). All you have to be able to do is access the "boot.ini" file which resides in the root directory of your boot partition. It's a simple text file that can be edited in Notepad (or even the DOS equivalent (EDIT)).

In your case I would suggest following Bigfella's suggestion and use EasyBCD from here.
Closed Thread