Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Looking for a new hard drive..

This is a discussion on Looking for a new hard drive.. within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. currently i have a Samsung SP8004H 80GB hard drive.. and im running low on space.. i currently only have around

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 11:53 AM   #1

currently i have a Samsung SP8004H 80GB hard drive.. and im running low on space.. i currently only have around 8gb of free space left.. i want to get another hard drive.. but i have no clue where to start.. can anyone help me out?

got an Intel 845E mobo by the way, and 512mb ddr memory.. if that helps..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2005, 01:14 PM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

seagate seems the best value in the us with their 5yr warranty

Old 08-20-2005, 02:03 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus
Just about any HDD will do, but I personally recommend Western Digital. They may not have the 5yr warranty, but they are reliable so what's the need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2005, 05:24 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
Seagate 1st choice Western Digital 2nd / <<<< personal opinion of course both of these are excellent

size ??? I would suggest 120 gigs / 7200 rpm 8meg cache ATA 133 or 100

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubmit=Property

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubmit=Property

regards

joe
Old 08-22-2005, 06:44 PM   #5

i recommend seagate for reliability and plus, their warranty is 5yrs. for performance check out the western digital hdds. also check out www.newegg.com for the hottest deals.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:21 PM   #6

ok few things.. size anywhere in between 80-160 gbs will do.. im tryin to find a good deal..
also whats the difference between ata100 and 133?
and does anyone have any walkthrough to installing a second hard drive.. some do's and don'ts...
Old 08-24-2005, 10:27 PM   #7
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

https://freepctech.com/pc/001/install..._devices.shtml

Old 08-25-2005, 07:20 PM   #8
Vetustior Humo

Bestbuy currently has Western Dig 120G HD's for $99 plus $60 worth of rebates.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:03 AM   #9

so whats the difference between ata133 and 100?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:09 AM   #10
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

the highere the no. the faster the speed

Old 09-08-2005, 12:30 PM   #11

I'd go for Western Digital WD1200-JB 120 Gb :) This is a reliable HDD and you can mark performance too. It may not have such a good warranty as seagate, but you'll have no trouble with it, mark my words. The company I worked for this summer was Romania's biggest retailer for WD Hdds and we had very few returned for warranty.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:14 PM   #12

try a Maxtor DiamondMax D540X
Old 09-09-2005, 02:18 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Wink

No disrespect to poster above / but 85% of problem drive issues in here are maxtors / maybe that why they have only one year warranty ??????

Western Digital Raptor is a butt kicking drive ???? but a touch pricey / you get what you pay for !! I am a Seagate man myself :)

regards

joe
Old 09-10-2005, 12:24 PM   #14

I second that, I wouldn't go for a maxtor myself either, I am a WD guy, but I must admit seagate also kicks but and the 5 year warranty is really awesome, but maxtor doesn't even deserve to be included in here.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:12 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Interesting opinions, all agree on Seagate and I agree that their drives are excellent. But I wonder what the statistics by volume show between WD and Maxtor failures.

I see Maxtor drives filling the computer stores like Fry's up to the ceiling and only a few WD's. I have had no problems with a Maxtor drive but have had several failed WD drives.

Maybe I am just lucky with my Maxtor drives and unlucky with the WD's. So why take a chance, I vote Seagate!
Old 09-10-2005, 02:02 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Razz

There was a poster in here about two maybe three months ago that gave us some statistics from a large commercial computer builder (he would not name the builder for fear he would lose his job/ but he stated the statistics of dead drive returns and volume of sales or installs and Western Digital was by FAR the least problematic in the IDE department with Seagate a close second / In the SCSI world of course Seagate was the winner of least defects and RMA returns

Maxtor was the worst by far / none of the others not even the Hitachi death star (desk star) was close to being as problematic. As far as volume goes / yeah / look at the prices / it doesnt take long to figure who is peddling the Junk / however my personal opinion is WD has let some relaibility slip while trying to close the selling price gap / Seagate has taken a different approach / seagate is not getting involved in the cheapest drive race they are taking the high road and giving the 5-year warranty for a more expensive drive ????

I know the Raptor is one hellva good drive though !!

now its all up to you to deceide

regards

joe
Old 09-14-2005, 03:25 PM   #17

well i can't buy from newegg because they don't ship to canada..

but im gonna be waitin on sales from bestbuy or something..

also how hard it is to install a new hard drive?
Old 09-14-2005, 05:44 PM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Wink

Marko:

Hard drives are one of the easier tasks to tackle within the computer arena / before you start your actual install ask for some installtion advice from within this forum and we can walk you thru it so to speak

check ebay for hard drives / there are alot of canadian vendors in there too !!

you should be looking for a 7200 rpm, drive
ATA 100 or ATA 133 capable
8 meg cache
IDE interface / not SATA (serial ATA)

regards

joe
Old 09-16-2005, 05:03 AM   #19

Here's something I posted a wile back

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazijoe
This all depends on what you need. My general rule of thumb. Seagate for reliability and WD for performance. I have 4 WD raptors on a RAID array and since installing them about a year and a half ago, had three different drives fail, three different times. Not enjoyable experience with a RAID 0 array. However my wifes computer is configured with 2 Seagate 80GB SATA drives in a RAID 0 array and been running flawlessly for about 2 years.

I really never had any problems with Seagate's Barracuda IV and V drives. They had pleanty of problems with their Barracuda III drives. I've seen alot of returns for them.

I'm not saying WD is bad but I don't think their quality is as good as it used to be.

Maxtor, I have RMA'd enough drives to fill a 55 gal barrel. Enough said about Maxtor.

Hitachi, I have had pretty good luck with them. I'd say they the quality of the Deskstars are about the same when it was under the IBM label.

Samsung, Their newer Spinpoint drives are very well built. I just got back into selling these and haven't had a problem yet. I did have lots of problems with Samsung drives about 2 years ago which kinda scared me on dealing with them again.

Fijitsu. These drives are like a time bomb. I am amazed how they do it. About every four out of five I have delt with have died at about the 4 year mark. They will run flawlessly for about 4 years. Not a problem, Not an instance, Then BAMM, the drive just dies. After dealing with Fijitsu drives, I try to make it a habit to replace my drives after 3 years of use.

To bad Micropolis isn't still around. They used to make one hell of a drive (I might be showing my age). I have used all different types of drives, back in the heyday of Connor till now with Seagate newest SATA drives with NCQ. I still buy drives on price and not by brand (Maxtor is really turning me off with their 1 year warranty).
To further my opinion on Maxtor. They are pushing a lot of product out the door and quality is suffering because of it. They even dropped their warranty down to a year. But alot of consumers don't look at these factors. All they look at is the 160GB HDD at CompUSA for $39.00 (after mail in rebates). This is an extremely good buy, but I would never use a $9.99 Bob's Closeout Special 200 piece tool set to work on my car. So why would I buy a cheap drive to store my critical data.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:46 PM   #20

thanks crazijoe and linderman and everyone else who replied here.. i now know what kidn of hard drive to be looking for.. and will come back for help on installing it as soon as i buy it..
Closed Thread