Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

"Loading PBR... Failed" and HDD Enclosure

This is a discussion on "Loading PBR... Failed" and HDD Enclosure within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Recently my five year old (ancient) Dimension 4700 (Pentium 4, XP Pro) took a crap. I went to turn it

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #1

Exclamation

Recently my five year old (ancient) Dimension 4700 (Pentium 4, XP Pro) took a crap. I went to turn it on and it gave me the well documented "Loading PBR for whatever-whatever... Failed". After trying several of the fixes listed on this website and a few others nothing seemed to work.

I purchased a SATA to USB HDD enclosure under the idea that I could use my work laptop to transfer the files from my old PC to my external. I purchased this from Newegg after talking to a few friends who said that I really don't need a nice one for this type of project.

After putting it in the enclosure and hooking it up to my laptop all I get is the whirring sound of the HDD starting and stopping, and the computer runs slower than usual. It shows that its reading the HDD, but it never shows up in "My Computer" or under the "Safely Remove This Device" prompt.

So basically after all of this I'm still without a working computer, the data from my old PC, and I'm out another $20. My questions are a) do you think the enclosure or my HDD is causing the problem? and b) is there any way around this other than buying a new (small/cheap) HDD to get my PC working again?

Thanks for the help, I know this is a lengthy post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Not lengthy at all, sounds like it is an HDD problem. I assunme from your descruiption, the drive spins up, then spins down repeatedly? Any clicking, grinding tapping noises While it is spinning up?
Old 08-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #3

Yes; on the speeding up and slowing down, but I'm not hearing any clicking or grinding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

What is the make and model # of the drive?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #5

It's an 80GB Seagate; I'll get more info on it when I get home from work tonight.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #6

Its a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7, 80 GB, 3.5'' drive
Model : 3JVC5JRM
Old 08-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Sounds like a drive failure, no failures that the 7200.7 are well known for. In the desktop is it identified in BIOS?
Closed Thread