Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Learning To Clone

This is a discussion on Learning To Clone within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've been working on some old computers. In some cases, trying to get them up and running is a problem

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I've been working on some old computers. In some cases, trying to get them up and running is a problem due to the fact that I'm trying to replace the operating system with as near the original as possible, XP, etc. One major problem is getting connected to the Internet with these older operating systems.

I understand the problem perfectly, there is no support for them. I accept that. I'm doing this mainly for fun and what I might learn in the process. I've found that what I learn working with old stuff can often be applied to the new.

My question concerns something a little different. I have a Dell Optiplex 745 Ultra SFF. It is running XP. I have no problems with XP. I could in the future. That's not a concern, here.

The hard drive in the Optiplex doesn't sound right at times, particularly when I play YouTube videos. It revs up very fast and is quite loud and task manager shows it hovering around 100 most of the time.

I checked the drive with Speccy during this rev up. The temperature was very good and it passed all benchmark tests. I still feel I'm taking a chance by continuing using this drive. I want to clone it to a new one.

I've never cloned a hard drive before, so part of this project is just to gain experience. What better than to first try on a drive not so important.

I have Macrium Reflect on another computer running Win10. I've never used it and don't know how. I want to try this for the clone. My first question would probably be answered when I start reading the instructions for using Macrium, but I would like to ask it here. Can I only clone the HD that contains Macrium, or could I somehow use Macrium on the Win10 machine to clone the drive on the Optiplex?

My other question concerns Internet connectivity. As I said, I have no problems with Internet connections when using the Optiplex running XP. If I clone the drive and put the new drive into the Optiplex, I should not have any connection issues. Am I right in making this assumption?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2018, 11:05 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Your best to read up on the product first before settling on it as the one you will use https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/ a lot of what you want to know should then be answered at which point come back and ask about the user experience of others and for any insight or tips.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:01 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You can create a bootable Macrium Reflect USB Flash Drive in the Macrium Reflect Program https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...usb-drive.html
https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-c...-rescue-cdusb/
Connect both drives, the one you want to clone and the one that you want to clone to. Boot off of the Macrium Reflect USB, And choose to Clone, select the whole Source drive (the drive you want to clone) then go next and select the whole Target or Destination drive (the drive you want to clone to) then let it rip.
Remember that the HDD of Windows that you are cloning, can only be used on a drive that will be placed in the same machine. If clone it to a drive that will be in a different computer with different hardware, the computer won't boot because there are drivers specific to that hardware installed in Windows when it was installed.
As for connectivity. If there are no driver issues in the Device Manager, you can go to Windows Update and it will start to download. So, you then will know you are online, finding a browser that works will be more of a challenge, you can find old versions here Old versions of Windows, Mac and Linux Software, Apps & Abandonware Games - Download at OldVersion.com
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2018, 08:22 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My intentions were to place the clone in the same machine as the cloned drive came from. As I stated, I fear the 'original' might not last much longer. You have given me lots of information. Thank you. I'll have more questions, I'm sure.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:26 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If the HDD you are cloning has Bad Sectors and has data on those Bad Sectors, when you clone the drive over to the new drive, you will import any problems the last HDD had onto the new HDD.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:18 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

I don't know the language here so I don't know if these findings translate into 'no bad sectors', but Speccy says

Reallocated Sectors Count=Good
Current Pending Sector Count=Good
Uncorrectable Sector Count=Good
Old 07-04-2018, 12:10 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Yes, that means the health of the drive is Good. No Bad Sectors.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:34 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

But I don't know why it would rev up the way it does when I'm playing videos or when I'm changing the format of a video. I've never had a HD rev that much and be that loud.

I wonder if at sometime in the future the TSF board might consider allowing mp3s to be sent in (limited of course to the sounds made by computers). I think it would help a lot in the techs pinpointing problems.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You can attachh an .MP3 just zip it up first.
The Revving might be caused by malware or bad drivers.
Try running Windows on that drive in a Clean Boot. See how it responds.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:51 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

I did the clean boot. No difference.

A question within a question. While typing this reply, I had my keyboard in my lap. I sneezed. I grabbed the keyboard so it wouldn't fall. When I started typing again. the letters shown here were a jumbled mess and not what I typed. This has happened twice lately. I have to reboot to fix the problem.

What combination of keys could I be pressing that would be causing this? Is there a fix other than a reboot?
Old 07-07-2018, 01:34 AM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If it is a USB keyboard, unplug the USB cable and then plug it back in.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:38 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My keyboard is wireless.

I just found out that pressing the Fn key and certain other keys at the same time on a Microsoft keyboard will cause this effect. Knowing this does not help me as my Microsoft keyboard does not have the Fn key.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:24 AM   #13
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by likekinds View Post
My keyboard is wireless.
It's still a usb keyboard. You can unplug and re-plug its dongle.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:40 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

When it starts again, I will try that. Funny, it doesn't do it in notepad.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:00 AM   #15
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Just a quick suggestion as everything Spunk told you is spot on but I have had little luck with Usb drives booting, especially in older units so I think you would be better served making a cd or dvd rescue disk and using that to clone from rather than a usb disk as older hardware often will not boot to usb drives no matter what you do.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:04 AM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

I read somewhere in the Macrium instructions not to use a usb drive. I meant to go back and re read it, but haven't gotten around to it.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

IMHO I have worked with computers that are 10-12 years old and sometimes older, that do boot from USB. it is not as easy as a newer computer.
With the burned USB Flash drive in the computer boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Boot tab, under the Hard Drive group, it should list your USB Flash drive, or listed just as USB Device. Move this to first boot device. You should also have a CD/DVD copy of the bootable program too as not all older computers allow booting from USB Flash
Old 07-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

Here is what I read. Somewhat different than what I remembered.

Important
Windows cannot boot from a USB connected drive. This is a restriction imposed by Windows. If you clone your system disk to a USB connected external drive then, to boot your clone, the physical disk must be removed from the USB caddy and attached to your Motherboard SATA port.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:05 PM   #19
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

That is correct.
Once the drive is cloned to the external, you swap the external with the internal drive. If the computer boots properly, you can use that drive or you can remove it, put it on a shelf, and if the old internal drive no longer boots or fails, swap it with the cloned drive. That is why we clone drives.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:24 PM   #20
ego
Registered Member

Cloning with Macrium Reflect is easy: Open Reflect and it immediately shows your C:\. You choose Clone This Disc. Another screen will open and it will show you available discs to clone to. Choose the disc you want to clone to and git ur dun! I use identical Samsung SSD 120Gb hdds. When I mess one up I just clone the good one over the bad. Presently using Windows 10 v1803, Build 177011.1000 (Windows Insider).
Closed Thread