Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Laptop with 500GB HDD and 32GB SSD??

This is a discussion on Laptop with 500GB HDD and 32GB SSD?? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am looking for a new laptop for university, just wondering if the SSD will make a difference in performance?

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 07:43 AM   #1
Registered Member

I am looking for a new laptop for university, just wondering if the SSD will make a difference in performance? Everyone says SSD is better which is why I ask whether this 32GB SSD "cache" will make a noticeable difference in conjunction with the 500GB HDD?

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite u50t-A-10E incase anyone is wondering and is the best price for performance from what I have seen Toshiba Satellite U50t-A-10E Intel i3-4010U, 1.7GHz, 4GB, 500GB, 32GB for cache | eBay

Thanks in advance.

Also sorry if this should be in laptop section, I wasn't too sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

I don't see a reason for a 32GB SSD for cache. You're fine with just a standard machine.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #3
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Hybrid drives will allow the laptop to boot up and access some data aster, which some find useful. On the other hand, they can give a user some problems if the system ever needs to be restored as the drives must be set up in the correct order to get the system back up and running. Someone posted here a few weeks ago with this very problem. The SSD may also wear out faster than the HDD too.

I wouldn't buy a laptop specifically because it has a SSD cache but if the laptop has other features that you like then it may give a bit better performance over one that just has a HDD.

Conversely, if you can find one and have the money to purchase it, a laptop with a 512 GB or larger SSD in place of a HDD can give you quite a bit of performance improvement over one with only a HDD. SSDs are also less susceptible to vibration. I've had a SSD in my system for a couple of years now and am quite pleased with it.
Closed Thread