Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Laptop does not show external hard drive

This is a discussion on Laptop does not show external hard drive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I am in need of help. I have a 250GB Western Digital passport external hard drive that has suddenly

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

Hi,

I am in need of help.

I have a 250GB Western Digital passport external hard drive that has suddenly stopped working. It last worked fine before a small fall from the table but I suspect the real reason for it not functioning is the presence of a virus.

Now, when I connect the hard drive, it is detected by the PC, the driver is loaded the first time if run on a new PC (Iíve tried it on many PCís) but no new drive is shown in My Computer. Sometimes, it shows up as the letter G:\ in My Computer (previously it was F:\). It is also extremely slow. The drive does not open on double clicking/right click, explore or via any application. The hard drive shows up in Safely remove hardware, but does not always appear as an icon in My Computer. If it occasionally does (as G:\), then it still wont open.. just freeze. The computer/application just freezes. It goes back to normal on removal of hard drive.

It shows up similarly in Disk management. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers.

I would have thought this is due to the fall it suffered, but I have found the recent virus ďAutorun.infĒ in my PC and another Hard Drive plus a few Trojan horses which leads me to believe that it might have to do with the non functioning of my hard drive. I have tried running various Antivirus programs like AVG, spybot, Trojan removers etc, theyíve removed a few viruses but Iím not convinced my PC is clean. Iíve also tried the procedure of removing all Autorun.inf files from the PC & drives from command prompt as suggested in discussion forums online.

Now when I try to open my WD hard drive (letter G:\) in any way, it either freezes or recommends a format of the hard drive. I am assuming that it would function fine after a format, but I include about 200GB of valuable data in it which I am afraid to lose. I am aware that there are data recovery softwares which can recover formatted files but since I havenít ever done it before, I am not sure how robust that recovery is or if the files and folders are recovered in the same manner (ie files in the correct folders). I fear that recovery might not work on this virus subjected Hard drive or if it works, that some files might be lost, and the rest be recovered in a random mixed up fashion making 200GB of files a complete chaos.

Please help. Much appreciated.

Negi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2009, 07:18 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

I would think it is moe likely to be from the fall than the virii, but it's hard to be sure. Recovery could be good,w ith the directory structure and filenames intact, but if there is damage to the file system or physical disk issues, then it will be recovery of files by correct type, but not in correct directories. Best thing to do is try it and see, all you have to lose is the time it takes to try the recovery software. No way to know for sure how good it will be till you run it. Try r-studio and getdataback demos, then register the one that does the best job at recovery. r-studio is our go to here in the lab.
Closed Thread