Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Lacie 5big Thunderbolt 2 RAID 5 NAS Recovery

This is a discussion on Lacie 5big Thunderbolt 2 RAID 5 NAS Recovery within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, hope I can find some help on this one. I've got a Lacie 5big Thunderbolt 2 30Tb configured with

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, hope I can find some help on this one.

I've got a Lacie 5big Thunderbolt 2 30Tb configured with RAID 5 on two partitions, one 6Tb for Time Machine and the second 18Tb for data. All was going fine until one day I plugged in the power supply and the plug broke the connector on the mainboard socket.

Took it to local shop who tried but only made it worse, so I rang Lacie and they are in the process of shipping me a new unit I can 'hopefully' do a mainboard replacement with. The very helpful support guy mentioned however I have 50/50 chance of it coming back, and frankly that worries me s..itless.

It was unpowered at the time with the latest firmware, and had shut down successfully so I'm not concerned my data is OK - just getting the new mainboard configured correctly.

I've seen on another thread on this forum Max40watt got his back just (and I say that tongue in cheek - because I actually have the luxury of a good raid set and same mainboard with same firmware) by plugging into PC with Linux - so I'm pretty hopeful that with the right raid config all will be OK, but unlike Max's level of expertise I'm not sure where to start.

Any thoughts please.?

Lacie 18Tb
Disk Information:
Files: 5,356,068
Folders: 950,150
Free Space: 677.47 GB
Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Block Size: 32,768
Disk Sectors: 35,155,561,872
Media: LaCie RAID VD 0

Lacie 6Tb
Disk Information:
Files: 11,000,131
Folders: 1,468,160
Free Space: 852.97 GB
Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Block Size: 8,192
Disk Sectors: 11,650,593,312
Media: LaCie RAID VD 0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2017, 05:20 AM   #2
Registered Member

OK so an update:

Found out the unit does HW RAID and my dead mainboard was definitely on the most recent firmware revision. Question being, once I update the replacement mainboard firmware do I just plug the drives in and they find my RAID set and configure accordingly, so far Lacie haven't been helpful on this.

When new, the unit defaults to setup new RAID - and this is NOT what I want, however there is nothing in the manual or online about plugging a good RAID set into a new box with the 5big Thunderbolt 2 units. Plenty on the forums with the Network 2 but this is software RAID and very different.

Anyone - anything.?
Closed Thread