Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

LaCie 5big Network 2 No volume/share available

This is a discussion on LaCie 5big Network 2 No volume/share available within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there, I am having an issue with a LaCie NAS and LaCie support has been, well, less than helpful.

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 03:32 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi there,

I am having an issue with a LaCie NAS and LaCie support has been, well, less than helpful. Here is the issue:

The NAS had been running great for a few years until one day the file transfers were taking a little longer than usual. I rebooted just because it had been a while. When it came back up, none of the shares showed in the console. Here is what I checked:

- The RAID6 is clean and drives show as healthy.
- The available space shows that the correct amount is in use.
- When I hover my mouse over 'Add share' in the share section, it says "There is no volume available"
- When I turn on the download server, the dropdown for share in the upload section shows the names of the shares correctly.
- The shares are not accessible through FTP (nor SMB as I usually use).
- I am logged in as 'admin' so have full permissions.
- The firmware is up to date.

I have read about someone being able to put the drives in a chassis, load Ubuntu, and mount the volume that way, but he had done it with a RAID1, so a but easier than a RAID6.

I also ready about the reset option on the NAS. It claims it would reset users and groups while recovering the shares. This was obviously meant for accessing if you get locked out, so I doubt it would do me much good with the volume issue.

This seems like a simple issue of scanning/mounting the volume except that I don't have console access to the NAS.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2018, 03:38 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Did you check out the info on their help pages https://www.lacie.com/gb/en/support/...twork-space-2/ you might find something of use.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:47 PM   #3
Registered Member

I did. I also opened a support ticket, but after a couple generic questions, they haven't responded in about 10 days. So I'm looking elsewhere for suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Ah right well it was still worth asking, you will need to wait on a networking team member to see if they can assist perhaps moving you here would be beneficial https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f138/

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:21 AM   #5
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

This is a shot in the dark, but there is a chance that your disks are good, but the configuration file(s) might be corrupt.

Are there specific configuration files for the device and any chance you have a backup of it ?

Old 09-04-2018, 06:10 AM   #6
Registered Member

That could very well be the problem, but I don't think I have a backup of the actual NAS config. I also don't know how I would pull them if not through the admin portal.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You Download and scan with this software for Free which can view your NAS configuration and data but it costs if you want to recover the files: https://www.runtime.org/nas-recovery.htm
Old 09-04-2018, 02:22 PM   #8
Registered Member

I tried the software, but it doesn't appear to work from my computer to scan a NAS on the network. This is LaCie, so I don't know if it's even possible to log into the OS of the NAS directly. If it is, that would probably be the way to go.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:44 AM   #9
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

For starters, do you know where the config files are stored ? and are you able to make a copy of it and keep it safe ?

Old 09-05-2018, 01:56 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Remove the drives from your NAS station and attach them locally to your machine. Make sure the drives are all recognized by Windows Disk Management.
If you followed the directions in the link for the Runtime software, then you would have removed the HDD's from the NAS and attach them to your computer that you are running the software on to scan and recover the data.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #11
Registered Member

I was able to recover my data. First, LaCie support is worthless. They haven't responded in weeks despite several messages. I will not be buying another product from them.

Fortunately, I have a tower with ample SATA connections. I loaded Ubuntu 18.04 on a flash drive, installed mdadm and GParted, shut down, attached all 5 drives from the RAID6, fired it up, and the array was recognized right away. All I had to do was mount it. I then spent more than a day copying the data to other spare drives.

In the future, I'll be setting up backups of my NAS to regularly run to a cold secondary drive somewhere. I'm sure I'll figure it out. Attached is the mess of a setup it took to recover the data.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	321630  
Old 09-13-2018, 02:14 AM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Good job, hopefully this will help someone else with the same problem.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:16 AM   #13
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Matt, I've got to say, Good job mate ! That takes a lot of patience and careful understanding on how to set it up..

Closed Thread