Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lacie 2big quadra (1TB) - raid messed up

17K views 23 replies 3 participants last post by  Networks 
#1 ·
Hi,

This is what happend:
I have a Lacie external harddrive of 1TB which contains two fysical drives of each 500GB which were linked in fast RAID. For some testing purposes I removed one of the two drives out of the casing and put it back in later.

Now I hoped that whith putting it back, that my data would go back to normal. But that wasn't the case.

I used harddisk recovery program, which could retrieve all of my files. But i couldnt open the files, cause they gave all kinds of errors.

Does anyone have an idea on what I could do to retrieve my data?

thanks in advance !

#6 ·
Looks like R-Studio didn't find anything.
Did you get the disks out of the case and connect them directly to your computer? It looks like you scanned the Lacie as it is, which won't do anything because the Lacie's hardware can't create a valid RAID with valid data out of the disks.

#8 ·
You can't create a virtual RAID when the disks are in the case. You have to get them out and connect them to the computer directly. The question is what is your computer? A desktop? A laptop/nettop? For the first case, you don't have to install anything like extra power supply units. The one in the computer should be enough. For the second case you'll have to use two USB-to-Disk adapters of enclosures. You told you had get one disk out of the casing. Do you remember, it was a SATA or PATA disks?

#10 ·
Most likely there are some spare SATA connectors on the motherboard to which you can connect the disks from the Lacie. They'll appear in R-Studio, and you can create a virtual RAID0 out of them. Then, most likely R-Studio will find a partition with your files.
Most likely, you'll need two SATA data cables, and power splitters if there is not enough power connectors for the disks. All of them are not expensive.
But let's start from inspecting your motherboard to see if there is enough SATA ports on it.

#12 ·
#14 ·
I applaud you for sticking with this and getting this far. Raid recovery can be very challenging unfortunately their is not an "easy" button for this type. Raid1 can get really messed up!

Can you take a screen shot of the first screen when you setup the Raid1 set and it shows the stripe size etc on the lower right hand side of the screen.

#15 ·
For RAIDs, such parameters as disk order, stripe size are very important. You have only two disks, so you may run easily through all options. R-Studio automatically detects a valid partition on the RAID as soon as the new config is applied (either when Apply changes immediately is selected, or by clicking the Apply button). You don't have to scan anything.
If that doesn't help, this may mean that the file system on the RAID is somehow damaged. Maybe, you turned Lacie on with only one disk in it?
Still, there are many chances that file are recoverable, although more time and effort will be required. Once again you'll have to run through all RAID options (disk order and stripe size), but scanning is required. Don't scan the entire RAID, you'll have to scan only 2-3GB at the beginning. This help Scan should explain how. See the Advanced scan. Save the Scan info for each parameter combination separately, as it may be required to further analyze your case.

#17 ·
Looks normal. I assume that the file system on the disk is NTFS. What worries me is that R-Studio can't find the partition of 1 TB on the virtual RAID0. I'd like to hear about the results of other disk order/block size combinations. Then we'll see what to do next.
And what was the program that found the files but they appeared damaged?

#19 ·
I did the different scans with all the same result (see screenshot)

Since the stripe size and sequence was so important I found a tool that discovered these data, which gave this output:

Code:
This is a plain-text general description of the reconstructed array layout.

The array type is RAID0 (also called Stripe Set).
The array consists of 2 disks.

The disks are ordered as follows:
#00: Hitachi HDP725050GLA360, Serial number GEC534RF20434E, \\.\PhysicalDrive0
#01: Hitachi HDP725050GLA360, Serial number GEC534RF204TAE, \\.\PhysicalDrive2

Block size is 512 B , same as 1 sectors.
The data starts at sector (LBA) 0 (this is often called "offset" or "start offset").

Generated by ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery build 454, [URL="http://www.freeraidrecovery.com/"]ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery software[/URL]
This company has a demo of there data recovery software, which I installed and applied the correct settings, and soon my images and data came along, with working preview (for the first time in months !)

Now with this data known, I would like to recover it with R studio, but I can't seem to select a 512b stripe. Is there a work around?

Attachments

#23 ·
I installed the latest version, entered the correct stripe size at the right place.
Performed the scan and R studio, found a partition of 1TB, but it was marked in red. In this partition not all folders were found.

So i gave up on r studio and bought the software from reclaime. This actually gave me previews and I have succesfully recoverd my files !!!

Thanks anyway to Alt-Rtt and Networks for all your help and patience ! I got a better insight now in RAID and recovering from it !

[SOLVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.